Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

linear voltage multiplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

fever

hello all,
iam looking for a linear type of voltage multiplier circuit.
my requirement is in Milli volts.imean when i fed it 250mv (DC) the output shld get multiplied by 4 times ie 1000mv (DC) and for 500mv input 2000mv shld be the output.the whole circuit shld be very much linear.
is it possible with some chip.i really need help in this issue.
thanks and regards

fever said:
can u give me some rough idea of chip or circuit

You really need to give more details of EXACTLY what you're trying to do, an opamp AMPLIFIER 'may' do what you want, but your term 'VOLTAGE MULTIPLIER' is something completely different, unless you're using the term incorrectly?.

Do you have any voltages available other than the voltage you want to multiply? If not, the task is impossible.

If you have other voltages, then your task is to find an "amplifier". For an amplifier you'll need to specify gain, frequency response, impedance, and/or current output requirements.

It might be easier to tell us what it is supposed to accomplish. What is the input device, and what is the amplifier supposed to drive?

DC voltage multiplier?
Is switching converter or just amplifier?

Switching converter will change voltage sources (batteries, etc.) to different voltage. It operates with input 2V or above. (require power to operate).
For amplifier, read on @mneary.

Ron H said:
So if a guy posts asking how to get from point A to point B without having to walk, would you suggest using an automobile such as the Model T Ford? :D

If the Model T was easily available, at the right price compared with something newer, why not?

JimB

A noisy old 741 opamp is like a Model T Ford without a muffler and without springs and shock absorbers.

audioguru said:
A noisy old 741 opamp is like a Model T Ford without a muffler and without springs and shock absorbers.

With a GBW product of 40-60 MPHz

For the OP, typically one says they need a voltage gain of 4 when doing what it seems like what you want to do. When one says voltage multiplier that usually means multiplying to voltages that can vary (i.e. signals) like z(t) = x(t)*y(t) instead of z(t) = 4*x(t)
Multiplying is a more general case and is more compilcated.

There are IC's that can do the multiplying if you want to use them but a simple opamp with a constant closed-loop gain is much more readily available and easier to cook up.

But this is all small signal design. You havn't revealed what kind of load you want to drive or other details which, may eliminate using an opamp altogether.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back