Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

linear actuator power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joebrocco

I am building an outdoor pub in my backyard. Included will be a TV that i would like to keep behind a moveable panel when not in use. I've purchased two 12v drill motors that will each turn a linear actuator at each end of the moveable panel. (panel weight 10 LB).
image 0628 shows the panel in the up position.
image 3231 shows my mock up
image 3232 shows the drill motor
I'm using 12 g twisted copper wire to connect the motors in parallel to a 12V 16 W drill battery to test out if this set up will work. Wire length is no more that 6' for the longest run
Wires get very hot

I want to get a transformer to replace the drill battery but the two i have purchased are 6V max. Also the terminals for the on hand transformers are not large enough to accept a 12 g wire.

What is going wrong? I appreciate any direction GEC can provide. Thank you
Joe

Attachments

• IMG_0628.JPG
    IMG_0628.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_3231.JPG
    IMG_3231.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_3232.JPG
    IMG_3232.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 205
If the wires are getting hot, then it's pretty obvious they are far too thin - drill motors take a LOT of power, so you need thick wires, and a substantial power supply to feed them.

Using a sealed lead acid battery (as used in burglar alarms etc.) kept on trickle charge, is probably the easiest and most cost effective solution?.

You do not appear to have any reduction gearing on the motors?

Their "natural" speed is probably some thousands of RPM, with quite low torque. They should be geared down to a practical speed (when running without load), which will increase the final torque in the same proportion.

As it is, they are pretty much stalled, so taking ludicrous amounts of current due to them being overloaded - they are likely to burn out if run like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back