Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

line sensors and ir detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

sILVERC320

Hi i am new to this forum and have been searching through the threads.

However i have a couple of questions regarding a programing a self-navigating robot, which i am making for a school project.

First off the robot has to follow a black tape (line) from the beggining through some turns and eventually stop at the end of the tape. For this i am using a line tracking sensor with three sensor so it will have the robot turn left, right, or just continue going straight. Whats a good sensor, or sensors to use for this? Also how would i go about to program this using a a oopic microcontoller?

Second once it follows the balck tape it must stop and an arm must pick something up(which another group is taking care of). once this happens it has to self navigate its way up to a beacon that is surrounded by IkHz IR sensors. Im not sure what sensor or sensors i should use for this and also how would i begin programing this part of the robot.

I would appricate your reponses in helping me build this...
Thank You

Danny

Do you have to detect that something you have to pick up?

To follow a line you will only need 2 sensors instead of 3. It's just easier. Say you are following a black line with white background. By setting the sensors so that they "see" both white, with the black line in the middle, you can know when there is a curve, when either one of the sensors detects the black line. This way will be better for programming purposes.

Check this article (Link), it is a nice start point. There are some good sensors like the OPB707, that you can get at Digikey. They are small so that they can be easily fitted.

Good Luck

Ivancho

thanx for the response the "something" is that there will be a ring hanging from a rod...and a robot arm is going to just tap it and fall into a little cup. This part of the robot is being desgined by someone else.

That is, your RING is also black like the tracking lines. And the floor color is different? And as you see the end of the tracking lines where they are covered by white floor (or other colors). You will stop the robot, and you can use IR sensor to detect the RING too. Fix the IR sensors to your arm and move the arm forward until it detect the black (your ring) and you can lift it up.

didnt get it

ivancho the link u gave in your reply is good but can u explain me the circuit for the sensor i cant get it what are the leds for and why are the "sensors" and the IR emitters are placed so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back