Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Like meeting people, Like spending money- Photography is the answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like getting close to weird....
goodbad.jpg

Vapourer Moth caterpillar, also known as Rusty Tussock moth, Orgyia antiqua?

That is a really cool pic and nothing I would call or consider weird. Caterpillars are pretty neat and can be really colorful.

Ron

fly.JPG

Not taken with the D810 I think that was the D7000

fly2.JPG

fly3.JPG

A mad sky taken down the road from here this hasnt been messed with a bit underexposed but it was getting dark
dusk.PNG

Thx everyone for posting here rather than in the Photography PM- I'm sure that others would like to share your thoughts and see your pics.:cool:

spec

Last edited:
85-34 is considered a landscape lens, you can get close ups because of the depth of field. at 24mm you can get very close to something but the proportion will be way under 1:1. Depending how many macro shots you need you can hire a lens, a decent reasonable price macro lens is the older type Tamron 90mm 2.8f, its the lens on the D810 in some of my pics, not too expensive and considered very sharp glass with excellent reviews, alot of pros use it instead of the Nikon version as its quicker in auto focus than the Nikon lens and just as sharp. DP preview is a good sight for lens reviews
Dang kid, your pretty smart. I did not know that about my lens, thanks for the info.:)

Dang kid, your pretty smart. I did not know that about my lens, thanks for the info.:)
Nah not smart, my mums a pro photographer (part time) and so is my sister. Mum had 14 years off but has just gone back to it, she was really good. My sister just done her uni degree in it but is getting divorced, the link to her stuff shows many people pics but look carefully and most are actually my sister and she has photoshopped herself into looking different! her real name is sarah but she uses Holly for photography

I got some tractor pics somewhere or parts of, I must go find which hard drive my stuff is on, I would like to post some of my mums, but most will be client work so its unlikely I can post online and most is product stuff these days. She used to do film pics years ago and we have some great ones on the wall in my dads office

OH AND AT 85MM ITS ALMOST A PORTRAIT LENS, TWO TIPS............

NEVER use a lens at the extremes, so in your case it will be sharpest around 75mm and around 40mm, 40mm good landscapes and 75mm spot on for portrait work, when using the rule of thirds on a cheap lens break the rule slightly and compose at the third intersections but keep away from the edges of the frame if you can, you can always crop later to make it fit 3rds. the edges on cheaper lenses are not great

might start a poll to get my mum to let me in her studio for qa couple of hours!! kind of like a petition, then I can show you what she has taught me so far. Some really cool tricks with flash ect

one trick I like is taking action shots of stuff hitting water, the trick is to use the 250 sync for shutter speed but a off camera flash set low ish power, at lowish power they fire for a much shorter period, so if you have a very dar room and background when you take the pic you are actually stopping the action at a much faster speed than 250. The shutter open and the flash fires for say 1000th sec then the shutter closes later, but the sensor only sees the 1000th sec exposure. you need a iso around 200 or less though

blue hour.PNG

I have this old but still good Nikon D100 camera, but it did not have any kinda zoom which I want, and buying a new zoom lens is way expensive, so I don't use this one much, but it is good for doing close ups which I just started doing for the website I am working on. I also do not know much about cameras and don't understand a bunch of the buttons, been to lazy to read the manual :facepalm:
I attached thumbnails of my Nikon...

Hy Mike,

Your Nikon D100 is a good ESLR camera even though it may be around 14 years old. Also, Nikon are renowned for good optics, well thought out controls, and reliability- they started life making high end lenses. The D100 has a 6M pixel sensor which may not sound much by modern standards but it will be suitable for all normal work. It is only when you need to blow up to poster size or do severe cropping that you would need a higher resolution. Also the resolution thing is mainly a specmanship: the numbers sound good, but 36M pixels would only be twice as good as 6M pixels, when you consider sensor real estate, which is what counts.

UPDATE: The 24mm to 84mm, f3.5 to f4.5, EF-S lens you have chosen is a peach from what I have read- you will not want to change that in a hurry. :cool:

Your lens has a reasonable range 24mm to 85mm. As your camera has a crop factor of 1.5 that normalizes to 36 to 127.5, in 24mm film terms, which is the standard reference. This means that your lens would be suitable for reasonably long shots and portraits (100mm). It also covers the normal (as the human eye sees it) focal length of 50mm. It is therefor a good 'walk around zoom' lens. which means just what it says. The only slight downside, in modern standard zoom lens terms, is that it is missing the short side a bit- 27mm would have been better. But don't let that put you off. In the old days you just got a 50mm lens and no automatic focus and photographers still got some fantastic shots.

When you say you would like a zoom what you probably mean is a super zoom, say from 100mm to 250mm (normalized) to compliment your current standard zoom. But long range shooting is difficult unless you use a tripod and it is better to get the basics of photography under your belt first.

In summary, your camera will be miles ahead of the the average point and shoot camera, especially if you shoot RAW, and a million miles ahead of any phone camera. I hope we see some of your work here.

DP Review website is generally considered to be the oracle on modern photography. This is what they said about your D100 in 2002: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond100/

spec

Last edited:
LOL, Mike dont ever buy a 200mm-300mm lens new if its around $200-$500, you will eventually end up buying a better one, Buy a fixed lens of 50mm 1.8f roughly $75 tops or a 90mm Tamron dedicated MACRO lens 2.8f around maybe $300 secondhand. I will try and get you a link for a good shop over there for secondhand lenses. Spend money on glass before a new camera, all a new camera will give you is features you wont use, unless your going to print a pic bigger than A4 size no point in extra pixels.

Or get a decent lens extension not a cheapo but around £90 it will give you around double focal lengh which should be plenty for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back