Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lightning Connector and iPad design flaw for charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Stewart

Most Helpful Member
1 yr burnt out Lightning plug for 12W supply to iPad

Warnings don't do as I did and use the lightning plug to hot insert power on/off as you will get lightning arc pitting then burnout of the weakest contact then. no contact. It is reversible but the spring gold plated contacts inside get pitted corroded even if they look good. The gold plating is thin 20u" est. and not good for arcs.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155691610165616

bandaid fix. call Apple send out free cable. but I'm driving 20 hr to Florida tomorrow, so may have to buy one too.

Does the cable go bad, or the connector inside the IPad?

I just put an IPad in my airplane, powering it from a 2.4A 12Vdc to 5Vdc charging port that plugs into the cigar lighter socket.

If the Master switch in the airplane is off (i.e. parked), then there is no 12V in the cigar lighter socket or 5V on the USB to Lightning cable. If I plug-in the IPad before I turn on the Master switch, is there any hazard?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back