Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Light to sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuee

Hi, i would like to make a light to sound module.
This will be picking up bass beats then jumping to each output - 4 outputs.

My working voltage is 240v and the lights i would like to use is 4x par38 80w.
Would anyone know a schematic to do this or could help me make one for my mancave.

Thanks

I believe what you are after is commonly called a color organ. I also think you want sound to light rather than light to sound. I understand the $X 80 watt lamps but not sure what you mean by "jumping"? So I would start with a Google of "Color Organ". Most have 3 or more frequency ranges of sound they respond to and it would seem you only want the bass frequencies. I suggest Google and a kit or turn key solution because unless you are real familiar with electronics and electronic components building a color organ can be a daunting task.

<EDIT> I see Misterbenn beat me to it. :) </EDIT>

Ron

Maybe Stuee does not want a color organ. Instead maybe he wants to listen to the buzz "picked up" of light from AC incandescent light bulbs.

But maybe he wants audio to make 4 lights blink.
He does not want the different frequency bands of a color organ. Instead he wants only bass beats to cause 4 lights to blink "jumping to each output" (in sequence?).

Stuee should explain exactly what he wants:
Light to sound or sound to light? Has anybody ever seen a light "jump" like a kangaroo?
1) When the first bass beat occurs then should the first light blink?
2) When the second bass beat occurs then should the second light blink?
3) When the third bass beat occurs then should the third light blink?
4) When the fourth bass beat occurs then should the fourth light blink?
5) When the fifth bass beat occurs then does the first light blink because the jumping repeats over again?

You live in a cave? Weird.

This will be picking up bass beats then jumping to each output - 4 outputs.
How do you want each output to switch?
Do you want them to dim while they are jumping?

Hi, yes the colour organ is what i need. Sorry for the wrong description i mean light to sound :)
i would like them to just turn on and off and jump from 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 - perhaps with a quick fade out (.5sec) instead of instant off.

I have been looking at schematics but not sure which ones are legit or any good.

Thanks all

Hi, yes the colour organ is what i need. Sorry for the wrong description i mean light to sound :)
i would like them to just turn on and off and jump from 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 - perhaps with a quick fade out (.5sec) instead of instant off.

I have been looking at schematics but not sure which ones are legit or any good.

Thanks all

Most of the schematics you see work, some better than others. Some have more channels and use better filters for channel separation. You want only bass response so really you only need a fractional part of much of what you see. Now when you say jump from 1, 2, 3, 4 I am not sure what you mean? For example would you want each bass beat to increment 4 lamps as in one followed by the next followed by the next etc? The more you want the more complex the circuit becomes and the more difficult to build and assemble. This is where if you can find a kit or prefab that does about what you want sometimes that is the best route to take.

Ron

Sorry,
I mean.
Beat output 1 on , 2-3-4 off
Beat output 2 on . 1-3-4 off
beat output 3 on. 1-2-4-off
beat output 4 on , 1-2-3- off/

hope that makes sense :)

Sorry,
I mean.

That would be a sound to light sequencer.

Sorry,
I mean.

Yeah, so as mentioned four lights would sequence so it becomes a count to n (n=4) and recycle. The lamps would be 240 Volt 80 Watt lamps. That could be done. I would likely just modify an existing circuit.

Ron

I do not know why Stuee keeps saying, "Light to Sound" instead of Sound to Light.

A CD4017 IC is a sequencer that does what he wants. Its outputs turn on one at a time in sequence. Its "clock" input is a logic high pulse.
The audio signal needs filtering to extract the bass beat then it is rectified. The positive pulses clock the CD4017 sequencer.
Opto-isolation is needed since the 240VAC is deadly. The opto-isolators can drive triacs that blink the light bulbs with fade-out.

I do not know why Stuee keeps saying, "Light to Sound" instead of Sound to Light.

A CD4017 IC is a sequencer that does what he wants. Its outputs turn on one at a time in sequence. Its "clock" input is a logic high pulse.
The audio signal needs filtering to extract the bass beat then it is rectified. The positive pulses clock the CD4017 sequencer.
Opto-isolation is needed since the 240VAC is deadly. The opto-isolators can drive triacs that blink the light bulbs with fade-out.

That would be my guess. Use a 4017, count to n and recycle. Use an opto to drive a triac circuit. Should work.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back