Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

light dimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: nice idea

laroche73 said:
Simple idea, Ron. I like it. Looking at the end goal instead of just answering posted questions with 1-for-1 answers makes everyone happy sooner. It's hard if the posting doesn't provide a good description of the problem. Then it's more like playing "twenty questions". I'm not picking on Bogdan, his posts have been clear and to the point.

I still like the schmitt-trigger solution... :wink:

- CAL
Laroche, I have to confess that I hadn't looked at those circuits. I like the Schmitt trigger solution too. It seems to me that this is a simpler solution. I wonder what objection Bogdan had to it?

best approach?

NIH? Speculating on someone else's intentions is a losing battle. I suspect it often comes down to what's lurking in your junkbox.

Have to admit I felt a slight annoyance looking at your solution, since I'd spent some time coming up with an elegant "all-digital" approach. You and tdb realized that PWM wasn't needed to solve the problem, and you both implemented inexpensive D/A solutions.

My vote for the simplest end solution would be to use one of the popular 8-pin micros (PIC12C508 or 12F629. Atmel's tinyAVR series is worth a look, too). This is also my vote for many of the problems posed in these forums Buy a tube of them from Digi-Key for $1 apiece. That's less than what some of the TTL and CMOS parts sell for, and a micro can often replace several. Also get a tube of HC164s and HC165s for I/O expansion, and HC299s for data lines.

Back to the lamp dimmer. Two input pins, one PWM output. Of course, all the messy details like pull-ups, switch debouncing, and PWM emulation need to be handled under the hood. What you get in return is a very flexible design. For example, it's just as easy to implement distributed-PWM as the traditional sort, if the application would benefit.

Go through the learning curve, it's not that bad. Designing with discrete MSI logic had its place in the '80s. It's still fun to come up with clever uses for standard TTL and CMOS parts, but unless you lack access to micros or operating speed is important, there are better ways to design these days.

My own biased opinion - CAL

i think that i will ocmbine a 4029 counter with a 4028 decoder....since I don't know any IC that had decoded outputs, BCD, and counts in 2 directions.
i will use some resistors to get the desired voltage and diodes.

hmmn?

ok, I'm missing something, Bogdan. Why do you need the decoder?
tdb and Ron H's circuits work directly off a binary output. Are you still driving a PWM circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back