Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Licenses for Electronics Engineers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging by the number of kids coming out of EE school with degrees nowdays I'd say all you need to do is burn all the money you own. But some of the smarter engineers might know what certifications might be good to get for job prospects. The paper you degree is written on is worth more than the degree itself.

I am not licensed to do anything in Australia even though I am qualified. As far as I am aware I am allowed to design and fix electronic devices but am not allowed to change the plug on them as this requires a license.:eek:

For those unaware, it is illegal here to do any electrical work without being licensed. Changing a plug is considered electrical work.

Edit, from what I can gather this is the "closed shop" being reintroduced through health and safety regulation. I think, at the moment, it is still legal to change a tap washer without a license.:rolleyes:

Mike.

Last edited:
I am not licensed to do anything in Australia even though I am qualified. As far as I am aware I am allowed to design and fix electronic devices but am not allowed to change the plug on them as this requires a license.:eek:

For those unaware, it is illegal here to do any electrical work without being licensed. Changing a plug is considered electrical work.

Edit, from what I can gather this is the "closed shop" being reintroduced through health and safety regulation. I think, at the moment, it is still legal to change a tap washer without a license.:rolleyes:

Mike.

ha, I thought canada was the worst place for needing more certificates, but perhaps it is you guys.:p

it happens here in the USA as well. in Massachusetts (where you can vote for the Kennedy of your choice) a TV repair license is required for fixing TV's, but not home audio (last i knew). in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, a license is required for just about everything. for repairing any radio transmitting equipment there is a federal Radiotelephone license required (it's the only federal certification that's required in electronics, except maybe an FAA endorsement on the Radiotelephone license for working on aviation radios). all of the other ones, if they exist, are on a state by state basis. unfortunately licensing doesn't accomplish it's original stated goals. there are still crooks in abundance among licensees, and there are still licensees that know next to nothing about the profession that they are licensed for. in most cases it seems to be just another hidden tax.

As far as my business goes, I am more than qualified in several different fields and from proof of work I am also very skilled.
Often considered more so than the typical licensed people around here! :)

However as I have been informed about the needing a license that it is apparently a gray area for people like me that do highly specialized or custom work of my business nature.
I have been told that if I do any advertising other than by word of mouth or handing out business cards and get work from it then I need a license. :confused:
But if that word of mouth and business card stuff gets me work then I am not required to need a license. I am then just considered a knowledgeable friend helping out another friend. :confused:
I have no customers, just loads of friends in need! ;)
And with a little resourceful and creative income earning anybody can make good money legally without a license! Its all a matter of who your customers are and what product or service you provide!:)

When I have looked into getting a general license I have never gotten one single strait answer related to how. :( But I have gotten loads of licensed people that said they would help me get one if I worked for them for several years at low pay in order to build up work time related to getting one. Not one will say how they got theirs. Just a bunch of hmm and hawing but no actual answer.:mad:

The businesses I do work for have never cared one way or another when I mentioned not having a license. I have always told them I am insured for any damages I may do and I fully back up my work with warranty and if they need references to previous work I give it to them. Same with liability and responsibility agreements, if needed I will sign my name to take full personal responsibility for my actions!;)
I have been told by several local businesses that the proof of insurance, warranty, highly rated recommendations from others, and willingness to actually take responsibility for my actions already beats out most licensed repair tech people they have had in the past.:)

The quality of my work has never shown me to be a cheat or hack job!
If anything the quality of my work has started going against me! :eek:
The stuff I repair or rework wont quit! Its great word of mouth advertising but once I fix something it apparently stays fixed so well I never get any more work out of it! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back