Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Li ion battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

arulprabahar

Hi,
We are using 3.7V Li ion rechargeable battery packs in our projects. I want to charge 10 batteries at a time. I am looking for a charger which is capable of charging 10 nos of batteries in parallel. Anybody knows about the online stores or distributors who are selling battery chargers kindly share the details.

Perhaps you need independent charge controllers.
but you can place them i n series and charge at higher voltage with one controller.

What is the capacity of the batteries? How big of a hurry are you in to charge them? Overnight or??

If the batteries are not going to be used in parallel you should never charge them in parallel. Such a large parallel pack of Lithium batteries would be extremely unusual.

Can you define your specific usage in greater detail?

If these are multiple independent cells the only way to properly charge them is with an dedicated charge controller per cell, the cost of which is not very high, although as ronv said the capacity of the batteries wasn't listed so again greater detail is required from you.

Last edited:
This one can charge six: **broken link removed**

So just get two of them...

There is a very distinct difference between 'parallel' and 'at once' in this case dougy.

Dougy, you must have missed where he wrote "charging 10 nos of batteries in parallel" that's the very next sentence! Don't quote what only works for your suggestion, we're trying to help the user here and he was ambiguous at best. He stated two contradictory goals.

The charger you suggest will work, but that's because it assumes from the start that the cells are single, which is safe.

The OP also didn't mention the form factor he was dealing with which means physical modification would be required if the Cells are typical Lipo vacuum packs rather than cylindrical cells.

Most chargers have a termination current of C/10 or if you are lucky C/20. Across 10 cells that effectively leaves them flat after a full charge. You need to design a damn good charger to achieve what you want. I would go for a timed charge.

Bear in mind a single faulty cell will bring the whole pack down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back