Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LG 47LW5600 (Black Screen)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbyguy

So when i turn it on you could see the backlight on but is just in black screen, there is menu button on the tv and when i press them nothing happens not even the volume butto.

I seen on youtube that it might be a capacitor
but when i check, there are no bad caps. I try diferrent outlet of the house and nothing. I only have my console connected to it thru RCA cables and i could hear the console, and somebody suggested to try with a HDMI cable but still nothing, not even the audio. Oh and I dont have it connected to a DVD or cable box or just the regular channels.

Could anybody give me any idea what might be causing the problem. Could it be the T-Con board?

Well please help and thank you in advance.

Visually. I try to check them with a meter but is there a special meter for caps. Or on the regular meter what setting do i put it.

You need to use an ESR meter and preferably one which allows in circuit testing (they limit the test voltage). While many capacitors bulge or leak when they start to fail, others will show no outward sign of damage.

It could be any number of things, but chances are it's one of the following:
  • A portion of the power supply died, probably due to bad caps. You cannot assume that all the caps are ok just because they look ok. Half the time destroyed electrolytics show know outer sign of damage.
  • Your inverter transformer died. I had this happen on a computer monitor of mine, but it is not as common in TVs (as far as I know).
Most likely you have some bad capacitors. A photo of your supply board may help us determine which capacitors are the most likely to have gone bad.

You need to use an ESR meter and preferably one which allows in circuit testing (they limit the test voltage). While many capacitors bulge or leak when they start to fail, others will show no outward sign of damage.

would this be ok to check the caps.
**broken link removed**

would this be ok to check the caps.

**broken link removed**

You pasted a page URL in image tags. For those wondering, this is what he is referring to: **broken link removed**

hobbyguy , most likely no. Multimeters sometimes measure capacitance, but I have never seen one that measures ESR. You really should buy a dedicated ESR meter, or just replace the entire power board (or all the caps on it). I'm still waiting to see a photo of your power supply board....

Matt

You pasted a page URL in image tags. For those wondering, this is what he is referring to: **broken link removed**

hobbyguy , most likely no. Multimeters sometimes measure capacitance, but I have never seen one that measures ESR. You really should buy a dedicated ESR meter, or just replace the entire power board (or all the caps on it). I'm still waiting to see a photo of your power supply board....

Matt

Oh, sorry ill open it up rite now and post some pics of the power supply board.

Ok im gonna have to wait till I go to work I dont have a computer to upload the pics and on my phone is not letting me one picture the system is telling me is too large and I converted it to pdf but nothing happens after I choose it to upload the file.

Ok, I was able to re-size the image of the power board let me know if thats ok or if is to small.
The other images are from the meter i was telling you guy if you could see the back side of the meter it say that you could test capacitor, but not sure if is good if you could take a look and let me know if that would be a good decent meter. would you guys let me know of a good site with free shipping to buy and ESR meter
20141019_211936.jpg 20141018_165328-1.jpg 20141018_165340-1.jpg

As I mentioned before, some multimeters measure capacitance, but that is not the same as ESR. In order to measure ESR you'll need a dedicated ESR meter (that's what they're actually called--try googling it). The meter in the picture will not help you.

As I mentioned before, some multimeters measure capacitance, but that is not the same as ESR. In order to measure ESR you'll need a dedicated ESR meter (that's what they're actually called--try googling it). The meter in the picture will not help you.
Ok ill check on google for the esr. But how would you need the picture closet to the board? On the other side of the board? Tell me please cause you just told me a picture of the power board.

Ok ill check on google for the esr. But how would you need the picture closet to the board? On the other side of the board? Tell me please cause you just told me a picture of the power board.

I didn't say anything yet in regards to your photo of the power board. That was just for reference, so that we know how your particular power board is set up. I said that the meter you posted a picture of won't help, so yes--do google "ESR Meter".

I didn't say anything yet in regards to your photo of the power board. That was just for reference, so that we know how your particular power board is set up. I said that the meter you posted a picture of won't help, so yes--do google "ESR Meter".
Sorry I got I got confused when you said that the picture is not gonna work.

Sorry I got I got confused when you said that the picture is not gonna work.

Sorry about that. I meant the picture of the meter :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back