Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED's not flashing bright enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabil7

Hi Im new here.

I just installed some LED indicator lights on my VW golf and they are nothing as bright the traditional filament bulbs that it had.

The reason why i bought LED's is that they come on straight away and turn off straight away rather than a fading effect.

Could someone tell me why this is, the it works but isnt bright at all. Im a newbie at electronics and no nothing, any advice would help.

Thanks

Welcome to ETO!
A number of factors determine the apparent brightness of LEDs, including semiconductor die size, packaging colour/translucency, current, ambient lighting and emission directionality (beam angle).

Hi Im new here.

I just installed some LED indicator lights on my VW golf and they are nothing as bright the traditional filament bulbs that it had.

The reason why i bought LED's is that they come on straight away and turn off straight away rather than a fading effect.

Could someone tell me why this is, the it works but isnt bright at all. Im a newbie at electronics and no nothing, any advice would help.

Thanks
This can actually come down the brand name. I am seeing LED lamps to replace a wide range of automotive lamps including for use on motorcycles. I recently replaced my brake and tail light, replacing a common 1157 lamp and the LED replacements I used were much brighter. Trips to the automotive store have revealed a wide range of lamps all using the same base connection as those they are designed to replace. My guess is much of how bright a replacement LED lamp is can depend on the brand name. The LEDs I have used on my bike are all Cree manufacture.

Ron

This can actually come down the brand name. I am seeing LED lamps to replace a wide range of automotive lamps including for use on motorcycles. I recently replaced my brake and tail light, replacing a common 1157 lamp and the LED replacements I used were much brighter. Trips to the automotive store have revealed a wide range of lamps all using the same base connection as those they are designed to replace. My guess is much of how bright a replacement LED lamp is can depend on the brand name. The LEDs I have used on my bike are all Cree manufacture.

Ron
Its the osram py21w led amber. Im guessing theyre a good brand because of the reviews and the price. Was about to go for the phillips but too expensive.

That is why it is illegal to tamper with lighting on vehicles in Canada. I have seen some too dim and too bright lights on cars before the cops caught them.

Didn't you read the datasheet for the very expensive Osram py21w led amber bulb? It says they are designed for interior lighting and are not road legal for exterior lighting.
It says that they use only 2W and says, "Only for off-road use. Not approved for use on public roads when used in an exterior application. Illegal use leads to cancellation of vehicle operating licence and loss of insurance cover".

Ive seen people on youtube with the exact same LED and its bright like its supposed to be. The LED i have is the osram py21w led amber
is your product backward trackable to it's original manufacturer
did it came with any declaration of conformity
did it came with any tech. spec manual provided by manufacturer
does it have a warranty
is the warranty activated/valid

we can assume things here - or you can show us what you exactly have in hand / rise a law suit if it comes to such

My son bought some cheap Chinese LED light bulbs for home use. They claim to be as bright as a 60W incandescent light bulb but they are obviously much dimmer.
I am happy with the compact fluorescent light bulbs I bought about 15 years ago and have not tried LED bulbs for my home. But I have very many (too many) LED blinking and colors-changing things all over my home and yard, many are solar-powered.

My son bought some cheap Chinese LED light bulbs for home use. They claim to be as bright as a 60W incandescent light bulb but they are obviously much dimmer.
I am happy with the compact fluorescent light bulbs I bought about 15 years ago and have not tried LED bulbs for my home.

The CCFL ones are absolutely crap - slow to come on, and really poor colouring.

LED ones are massively better - I've replaced all my lighting with LED ones, using 10W LED to replace what used to be 60W incandescent originally, and were later 22W CCFL. The 10W LED bulbs are considerably brighter than either of the previous ones, and come on instantly at full brightness, plus give a much cleaner white light.

it's not about LED-s being too dim
it's also them being "too bright"
i have bought **broken link removed** 5pcs. 6pcs. of **broken link removed**s as:
  1. was not working from the beginning
  2. are still operational
  3. -1 deceased soon after purchase (couple of months)
so the 60% is junk by http://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/OC337288-komanda-technics-europe-llp
the ones operational are good only they come with "hidden markup" of 1/.4 ≈ 250%(same as ®+150%) . . .
  3. are still operational
so it's 50%/50% = 200%(/$®+100%) "markup"

. . . the PWM part works good only the LED´s (i assume!) internal wiring fails tested with spare LED so the case and the PCB remain GOOD! -- yet to figure out the use for

- which is no surprise coz we sold the dyto´s
p159732_200_140.jpg
by carpoint and over 50% of these were returned to our wholesale store !!!
=================
? don't by anything LED PWM ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back