Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

led's and 10Kv

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostman11

i have a large electric fence (dosnt everyone :D) that puts out about 10Kv, and i was wondering if there was any way i could connect led's along it's lengh so i have an indication of where it is at night, this would be very helpful for when i am shooting at night (mr fox). i am getting fed up bumping into it :eek:.

You could try neons with 1M resistors but I think it will load the unit too much.

Edit, mines only about 500Mtrs.

Mike.

Last edited:
i have a large electric fence (dosnt everyone :D) that puts out about 10Kv, and i was wondering if there was any way i could connect led's along it's lengh so i have an indication of where it is at night, this would be very helpful for when i am shooting at night (mr fox). i am getting fed up bumping into it :eek:.

Better to bump into it, than to 'relieve' yourself on it. :) Pretty sure if it was practical, it be on the market by now. The fence is high voltage, but low current. Both neons and LEDs, burn up about 20 mA, and you would likely want several. Might try some cheap solar yard lights/driveway markers. Put higher capacity batteries in them, and they work most of the night. Place them on the fence posts, and should be easy to see. If you have a zoo near by, I've heard that big cat crap works wonders for deterring other predators, and lasts for months. Not sure how it effects your livestock though, but they will probably get use to it.

As Mike stated, a neon bulb with a high value resistor (probably in the neighborhood of 10MΩ or several 10meg is series to minimize loading) should provide a visible indication. I think that will be brighter than an LED with the same resistor.

Why are always (almost only) 20mA LEDs considered when talking about them used as signaling devices? :confused::confused:

There are low current LEDs on the market with a forward current of 2mA - pretty bright to see at night - probably also at 1mA.

Boncuk

Better to bump into it, than to 'relieve' yourself on it. :) ...Both neons and LEDs, burn up about 20 mA,....
Neons, like NE-2 have design operating currents of ~300uA or less. I have held one lead of a neon lamp and held the other "near" a high voltage source, and had the lamp light. I wonder if you could wrap one lead around the fence wire and let a long wire connected to the other lead dangle in free space. Depending only on capacitive coupling.

Just a thought.

Ken

Last edited:
I wonder if you could wrap one lead around the fence wire and let a long wire connected to the other lead dangle in free space. Depending only on capacitive coupling.

With a good fencer unit that actually works fairly well. Just use a piece of aluminum foil for the capacitor. In the dark you will easily see the bulbs flicker with out actual using any direct power from the fencer unit.

hmm some great ideas there!! i might have a play around with it. i was wondering if a small plastic tube with a small coil wrapped round it attached to neon would work.........
it a fairly long fence with approx 4 1/2Km of cable so its a fairly hefty mains operated unit that really kicks out. i bumped into part of it the other night in the pouring rain, hurt like hell :(. as for other ways to deal with foxes i have tried them all!! this year has been a bad one and we have lost about 270 rare birds, almost taking us to the bankruptcy court. so now i have upped the fence from 6' (they jumped it) to around 8' and topped it with electric fencing and a few more around the bottom

(its not 41/2Km long!! but thats the total lengh of wire use in several layers)

Last edited:
Foxes are very difficult to keep out with barriers, and very persistent. Maybe an easier, less exotic meal, might turn their attention from your rare birds for a while, least until you can hunt/trap them. Try some chickens or rabbits on the opposite side of the fence. Could try putting out food for more natural prey, like birds and squirrels, but it could attract rodents or more predators. Comes down to needing to kill the fox, no nice way to keep them from your birds though.

Never tried it, but if you put a florescent tube in close proximity at some orientation, will it glow? I know that works with higher voltages, not sure about a fence. Otherwise, the neons might be the best bet. Your available current is extremely low.

Make sure you test the fence if you add any neon's, there's no doubt it's going to load the fence and if it loads it too much you're gonna make the fense ineffective. Keep in mind those fense supplys weren't meant to be used all the time you may end up damaging or shortening the life of the fence transformer.

6 fox in 4 months and you keep running into your own fence? :confused:

I wouldn't be mentioning that too much. It could create questions about your hunting abilities and a few other things too! :D

6 fox in 4 months and you keep running into your own fence? :confused:

I wouldn't be mentioning that too much. It could create questions about your hunting abilities and a few other things too! :D

lol yeah sounds odd i know. hard to explain but because of the lay out of our farm and where the fence runs, the only safe option is to shoot from a deep drainage ditch that faces into a field, its the only clear shot away from the house. unfortunately it puts me about 12" from the fence and as we run stainless low loss wire you get one hell of a belt from it plus i am standing in a ditch full of water!!! i didnt want to run the indicators all the time just so they flash as the fence pulses.

I live in the country also and I can relate well!
We have nuisance animals around here too and sometimes they put a person in rather odd positions in order to deal with them.

I've laid on the roof of my house for hours waiting to shoot a mink before. Only to end up having it come into my shop while I was working two days later when I didn't have loaded gun ready. :eek:

Mink huh? Could have made a hat for the wife =)

I've got mink issues. One killed my pets as a kid. Nuf said. :eek:

A rubber ball killed one of my ferrets, I don't hate rubber balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back