Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED

Status
Not open for further replies.
from what i know, a normal LED can take up to 50mA, but it depends of the type....
some red leds have a nomeinal current of 20mA, some have 2 or 0.5, so it depende on the led..but i think that for a normal 20 mA led can take up to 50mA.i'll try to find something on the net about that.

I don't have a power supply from where i can adjust the current... and i do not have enough of different resistors to test it... :cry:

u can make a simple circuit, a variable resistor and a transistor, like BC639(1 amp) and use an ampermeter to mesure the current trough the led...but any way i dont think they cand support more than 50 mA,

From blowing I remember once I had connected a blown LED into tha 230V AC mains socket and what I got to saw was a BIG BOOM leaving behind black somke and patches on the wall. I thought that blown LED will have no effect of 230V AC but I was wrong. The explosion was cool :lol:

i tried something else with a led...
i used an 18V ac source and conected it to a 12 V secondary of the transformer, and on the primary-220v-i had about a thousand or so.....
i conected a led, turned on the power and BOOOOOOOOM...
even if the led is burned the distance between the contacts is so small that a spark occurs between them so the led is blown uuup 8) , and there is also the burned crystal that becones conductor at that kind of voltage.
i tried this also with a 12 mm transparent red led, but i put a current limiting circuit with a BF256 transistor and the led didnt blow, but there was something like a camara flash, but much greater....and it was fun because after that the led still worked, but it turned into a green led :lol: and it was a funny experience.

I came on to that i had the multimeter in the wrong place!! when i first measured the current. SO i tried again and my green led started to turn yellow at about 80mA. I hope you didn't put a led in anyhing that gives 250mA ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back