Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a very low power (100w) inverter at Wal-Mart for $18 and did some testing. It produces a nice high voltage from 12v, but at the current I will be drawing, it's only about 40% efficient. As I'd like to run this from battery sometimes, I'd like to get something a little more efficient.

I played around a bit more with a small transformer I had laying around. The secondary actually has two outputs with a shared center tap. I built the circuit below. I switched 12v on half of the lower voltage winding, but took the output from the other half of the higher voltage winding (if that makes any sense). Essentially, I was using one coil with a tap on the lower 1/3rd of the winding.

**broken link removed**

After playing around with various frequencies and duty cycles, the max efficiency I am able to achieve is a little over 72% using a 4.8kHz switching frequency (surprised me since the xformer was for 60Hz). Once the output was rectified, I was able to get a solid 27v at 200mA. The 12v supply was drawing 620mA. I'm pretty happy with the results, but I'd like to get the efficiency a little higher, so I was thinking about using a better transformer. Would this really help? At the very least, it would be smaller and lighter since it wouldn't have the 120v primary winding.

Since I don't have all that much voltage to work with, I decided against using the 317T as a current regulator since it will eat up almost 3v. So, I made the circuit below. I'm using one 317T as a 1.25v regulator to provide a solid base voltage. This then feeds several 2N3904 transistors as a current source. At the emitter, I'm getting a little over 0.5v. And if the transistor saturates, my drop-out voltage is only ~0.7v. Much better! I figured on running each LED chain at about 18mA. Higher current really doesn't emit a noticeably brighter light.

**broken link removed**

So, before I go all out and finish all this, are there any suggestions to improve the design? This is going to be assembled on a perfboard so I don't want to hit much higher frequencies and I'd like to use easily obtainable parts.

Thanks in advance!

Like I said before, if you really want efficiency use a fluroescent tube.

Since you really want LEDs the only way to get a decient efficiency is to use a proper IC.

Maxim make them but there are other suppliers around.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back