Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Nightlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

LED Man

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I would like a design for an LED nightlight which will run for as many hours as possible on at a maximum a single AA cell. The light output is not as important as the time the nightlight will last without having to replace the battery. It is only to light a very small area i.e. just to highlight a step on a stair. Does anyone know of a design which will allow the light to operate for many weeks say 6 to 14 weeks.

Thanks, I am a mere software engineer and I bow in anticipation of reply.
:wink:

From a single AA, Hmmm, you could use an LM3909 and have it flash. It would probably last 8 or 9 months.

Using 2 AA and a diode (1N4001) in series with the LED (no resistor) it will be bright and last a while, although I'm not sure about a month.

If a flashing LED will work, do a Google search for "1.5 volt LED flasher". You'll find several circuits that will work.

I have been hoarding my LM3909s.
I heard they were not in production anymore.
:(

Here is a page were some guy builds a discrete version:
**broken link removed**
:D

i found a circuit once a while ago. it was called a joule thief (correct spelling there). it uses a led, a resistor a transistor and a ferrite bead that has some wire wound around it to make it into some sort of inductro or something like that.

but thats all that i can remember so i recomend that you look it up

Kieran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back