Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

led MATRIX CURRENT DRAW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mrdeb if you are setting a port like
PORTB = 240 that's hard to see what's happening so this would be better PORTB = %11110000

But if your testing a number

Code:
If X= 240 then 
TX
endif
that's easy to see

Say TX is sending 240 it will send the byte 11110000 out one bit at a time

Last edited:
Perhaps adding a purpose- built encoder/decoder pair of chips is MrDEB's path to cross the vast gap in his knowledge. Here's a pair available at DigiKey:

**broken link removed**

link does not work?
BUT I am just wondering if for example
instead of writing tx is sending one byte at a time just have tx = 240 instead of tx = %11110000
just being inquisitive. I got the idea from looking at say the TETRIS code with LOTS of const arrays with 16 bit words.
Will go back to my matrix and see about an example

[MODNOTE]Its against the rules to be abusive to other members[/MODNOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Page not found

Link does not work!! as I stated but adding more chips is not my goal.
You have to forgive JonSea or Mrdebsnightmare or what ever the poster goes by. They don't know how to treat people so they resort to abuse on the web.

The best way to do this would be call Right, Left , Stop. And used what you said you had working

Code:
While true 
    If Stop= 100 then 
        display Stop
   elseif Right = 150 then
        display Right
   elseif Left = 200 then
        display Left
   else 
     display green 
 endif
wend

Post 172 I addressed the problem with using the 7555 so that idea in this project is out. Two bike riders would screw up the process.
Rioght now trying to figure out how to implement the Swordfish Manchester code. Found several examples and they are outputting the data on the TX RX pins.
Am trying to configure it to output on C3 (convenient to use on the Tap28). Just plug in the transmitter as the pins all line up correctly.
Thinking of assigning the Usart output to C3 but not sure if that's correct procedure. Have an issue with the Junebug so using the Pickit2 only (was hoping to use both.)
Will post my progress if any.

I would make a sub called Get TX you don't need Manchester Just let the transmitter send like 100 small delay 100 small delay 100 Three times in a roll do the same for next state. 150 3 in a roll.

So here what happens you press stop Your receiver get's a 100 it starts counting to 3 it get's 100 there two of them it gets 100 we have a stop.

So now it wait till a new number come in It gets a 200 three times it changes to the green leds ok.

So now if it get's a 100 then a 200 then 100 it goes and waits till it get's 3 in a row 100 100 100 do something 100 200 100 error look agin.

progress so far

Here is what I have but your idea sounds easier for sure. Got the call for dinner so will get back at it after dinner.
Code:
// if device and clock are omitted, then the compiler defaults to 
// 18F452 @ 20MHz - they are just used here for clarity...
Device = 18F2420
Clock = 20

// uses USART library...
Include "USART.bas"
Include "convert.bas"
Include "manchester.bas"

// working variables...		     
Dim ValueWord As Word
Dim ValueByte As Byte
Dim tx_out As PORTC.3
Dim led As PORTC.0
Dim x As Word

Output (tx_out)
Output (led)
led = 0
tx_out = 0
While 1 = 1
For x = 0 To 10    // cycle through 11 times
// encode a value, display the result...
//SetBaudrate(br19200)
ValueByte = %00000000
ValueWord = Manchester.Encode(ValueByte)
//Tx_out =  (ValueByte, 8)
USART.Write("Encode ", BinToStr(ValueWord, 16), 13, 10)
  PORTC.3 = ValueByte  // send data out on c3
  If tx_out = 1 Then 
  led = 1
  else led = 0
  delayms(2000)

End If
   Next
  Wend
  {
// decode and display...

If Manchester.Decode(ValueWord, ValueByte) Then
   USART.Write("Decode ", BinToStr(ValueByte, 8), 13, 10)
Else
   USART.Write("ERROR!", 13, 10)
EndIf

Reread your idea but need to contemplate a second transmitter unless I use say 400,500,600 for second transmitter and 100,200,300 for second etc. (could go 100, 150, 200 etc.
will ponder this solution but am concerned about second or third transmitter??

You don't what to send data at 19200 thats way to fast these things were made for more slower transmit 2400 is as fast as most us them

And It's not hard to add a id to what I showed you I figure you get one working first then add to it.

Say 1 to 40 id to start then if you need more just make bigger numbers.

Last edited:
A possiable solution I found

Searching on the web and found two very similar projects.
https://www.serasidis.gr/circuits/RF_remote_control/RF_remote_control.htm

one uses a avr but a PIC could be used and the second project https://www.coolcircuit.com/project/rf_remote/ uses a 12f pic but a 10F200 could maybe be used (smaller footprint??)
Looking over the code which is in C I get a slight idea what the code is doing.
The two projects are viable and the second one is exactly what I want to do, three switches but two would work as well.

I recall an encoder / decoder chip (Jonsea jogged my memory when he mentioned encoder / decoder) so I did some searching and found an application that would not require a PIC on the transmitter side of project.
Reading the description I think? get 255 different combinations depending on the status of the A0 - A7 (need to read data sheet further etc.

Please just forget every suggestion I've made and do not mention my name again.

You are not designing software for the Mars rover. There are dozens of different ways to accomplish your goal, any one of which would work well if you make the effort to understand it.

The decoder /encoder suggestion I understand and it accomplishes the one goal of minimal parts count.
Your suggestion of encoder / decoder made me realize that there is another solution. If one has several solutions to a problem then a choice can be made with a hopefully better result.
I realize this is not for a Mars Rover and YES I am making an attempt to understand all that I have posted by printing out the source code and following what each line of code does.
YES the two projects I posted were using an AVR or PIC and in C but looking over the code I can see the similarities of C to Swordfish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back