Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Led lights with 2 power sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomstud12

Hello

I currently have led lights under the feet powered by the interior light so when door opens the led lights come on. They are connected together

But i now received a add a circuit fuse (One of these) which i would like to hook up to a switch and use the switch when driving but also have my lights turn on when door come on.

My question is how can i add these 2 together. Like if i add these 2 power sources together and when i turn on the switch will the switch power just go to the led lights? or will it go to the interior lights as well and turn them on also? as they are connected by wires

Thanks

I currently have led lights under the feet powered by the interior light so when door opens the led lights come on. They are connected together

How is the LED lighting connected to the vehicle's existing interior lighting? To what did you connect the LED's positive and negative wire leads?

In my experience the door switch that controls interior lights is usually a low-side switch - that means it connects the lamps to body ground. The lamps are hard-wired to a powered fuse [case 1].

It's also possible that your door switch is high-side - connecting the lamps to the positive power source, with the lamps hard-wired to ground [case 2].

The answer to your question is dependent on which of these two cases applies to your vehicle. Let us know if you need help determining this.

How is the LED lighting connected to the vehicle's existing interior lighting? To what did you connect the LED's positive and negative wire leads?

In my experience the door switch that controls interior lights is usually a low-side switch - that means it connects the lamps to body ground. The lamps are hard-wired to a powered fuse [case 1].

It's also possible that your door switch is high-side - connecting the lamps to the positive power source, with the lamps hard-wired to ground [case 2].

The answer to your question is dependent on which of these two cases applies to your vehicle. Let us know if you need help determining this.

I don't really know much about electricity in cars i followed a youtube video on how to connect foot led lights.

I connected them to the positive and negetive for the light bulbs holes in the interior lights. So when ever power goes into them lights it goes down to the led lights. Or when i switch on the interior lights the led lights come on to.

OK Tom, so you ran both positive and negative wires from the LED lights (under the dashboard) to an interior light (in the roof?) and connected these wires to the terminals of the light bulb?
Sorry for this repetition, but I want to make sure that I understand.

Do you have a link to the video that you followed?

OK Tom, so you ran both positive and negative wires from the LED lights (under the dashboard) to an interior light (in the roof?) and connected these wires to the terminals of the light bulb?
Sorry for this repetition, but I want to make sure that I understand.

Do you have a link to the video that you followed?

Yes that is the way i done it. So when ever there's power going into the lights in the roof it also goes down to the led lights.

First we need to confirm how your interior lights are wired.

You need to measure the voltage (hot/12V? not hot/ZeroV?) at an interior light bulb when the lights are off (doors closed).
A multimeter or 12V circuit tester would be useful for this. Cheap is fine! Always useful for any vehicle owner.

Let me know if you need help with this.

First we need to confirm how your interior lights are wired.

You need to measure the voltage (hot/12V? not hot/ZeroV?) at an interior light bulb when the lights are off (doors closed).
A multimeter or 12V circuit tester would be useful for this. Cheap is fine! Always useful for any vehicle owner.

Let me know if you need help with this.

I'm going to the store tomorrow to buy multimeter and some tools will let you know the result.

When you fitted the LED lights did the instructions include which way around to connect the wires and are the two wires different colours?

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back