LED Flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm building an LED flashlight. It uses 12 high power LEDs, and what it all comes down to is that at 4.5V (3 "D" cells), I only need 5 Ohms of resistance. Now, a whole lot of energy goes into heating up that 5 Ohm resistor a whole lot. Is there a more effecient way? What I'd like is to be able to perhaps use PWM to short the battery out through the leds in quick bursts or something to that effect. I can use discreet components, but preferably stuff I could control from a uC. (Transistor, ADC for voltage/current sense built-in with the uC I'm using, a PIC16F876).

Thanks!

Need more data abot LED: max current? forward voltage? for considerations.

**broken link removed**

They want 30mA, but I'm considering either 25 or 20mA for better efficiency. (It doesn't look that much dimmer). The forward voltage is around 2V. I'm thinking of using a step-down regulator (97% efficiency, from National Semi) to give a PIC a constant 2.xV, and then drive the LEDs directly from the PIC by shorting the outputs to ground through the LED. The outputs on PICs can sink/source 25mA, so...

Is that idea any good?

Hey, thanks for the links, Pilot.

The PIC thing is intersting, I'll need to look into that, considering I have several 12F675s on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…