Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Learning how to read circuit diagrams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDC

I watched a demo step by step video clip of a simple circuit being put together, from the first component being put in place on a breadboard to the final piece.
Admittedly there were only 5 compoments plus wires- comprising of a 555 timer, 2 resistors, 1 capacitor , 1 LED and several jumper wires.

Using pause, and continuously going back, I found it quite easy to follow and I grasped it all. However, in the real world it is going to be circuit diagrams not video clips. I am willing to put the time and effort in, but what is the way to begin from scratch learning how to read the diagrams?

In order to understand a "circuit diagram", it is necessary to understand the operation of the basic components:
Resistors
Capacitors
Inductors.

Then going on to the more complex components:
Diodes
Transistors
and simple integrated circuits such as timers and op-amps.

From there you can build understanding of basic self contained circuits which perform one function, and then how to use the basic circuits to build more complex systems by connecting the basic circuits and components together.

It can be a slow process, not something which can be completed in a couple of afternoons.

JimB

Reactions: MDC
Using pause, and continuously going back, I found it quite easy to follow and I grasped it all. However, in the real world it is going to be circuit diagrams not video clips. I am willing to put the time and effort in, but what is the way to begin from scratch learning how to read the diagrams?
Depends on the type of diagram.
Some diagrams are logical representations of the parts that make up the circuit. Other diagrams are physical representations of the circuit. Still others are a combination of both.

In any case, you should learn what the logical/physical symbols represent, and then learn what the actual part looks like. Then assemble a simple circuit, even if its just an LED and resistor, test it and understand how it works. This forum can help with any questions.

There is an article (somewhere on here) about how to draw schematics, power at top, ground at bottom, signal flow from left to right etc. Well worth reading. Maybe someone not on a phone can find and link it.

Mike.

There is an article (somewhere on here) about how to draw schematics, power at top, ground at bottom, signal flow from left to right etc. Well worth reading. Maybe someone not on a phone can find and link it.
Maybe this one?

JimB

A large part of understanding a schematic is learning what parts the symbols represent.
Once you can recognize the symbols, the rest is mostly just lines that represent connections (wire, PCB traces, etc.) between the various parts.

JimB
I really like the author's emphasis on clarity when drawing schematics, a great point.

Thank you for digging this article out and sharing it with us.

Maybe this one?

JimB

I guess that's better than nothing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back