Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Learn IR from DVD and injection signal from PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberware

Hello everyone.

I'm not expert in eletronics circuits, but I need make a device to learn the IR signal from a DVD-Record (panasonic dvd dmr-ez28) and send to PC. Then, users interact with the software and it sends the signal directly to a DVD (not over IR Led, to not lost samples).

The IR Module is like this one:

tsop4838-ir-receiver-module-38khz-rc-jpg.51201

The output is HIGH if NOT detecting any infrared signal and goes LOW if infrared is detected..

Based on circuits over the internet, I made this circuit attached.

I have some troubles:

• The LED on the MAX232 be always ON. When the signal is received from IR module, the LED blinks. The right is the LED stays off and flashes when receiving the signal.
  • Serial port don't stop receiving information, even when the IR module is not sending signal. It looks like some kind of interference.
  • The DVD player does not recognize the signals sent by the PC.

Please, could anyone help me on this circuit?

Many thanks!

Alessandro

Attachments

• CIRCUITO_v2.GIF
    CIRCUITO_v2.GIF
    14.6 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Remote controls don't send RS232, or anything like it, so you can't use aserial port like that - and there are huge numbers of totally different systems in use.

If you check my PIC tutorials it explains the Sony system (SIRC) and how to read and write it.

I used the MAX232N to interface between the module and serial IR ... This does not work?

I've started reading your tutorial, but do not I have the knowledge to improve the PIC code to work as I need ...

This circuit can do without a pic?

Thanks

Last edited:
Use a fast opto coupler from the printer port to the IR. You need to send an unmodulated code, see LANCs / SIRCs (Sony) for examples. Your Panasonic will have its own protocol but the method will be the same.

From the hardware standpoint:
If it is 5 volts comming frove the dvr then the 7805 regulator won't work. If it is 12 volts it will be to high for the ir sensor.

From the hardware standpoint:
If it is 5 volts comming frove the dvr then the 7805 regulator won't work. If it is 12 volts it will be to high for the ir sensor.

You right. This diagram is old... For my test, I used a external font connect into to regulator 7805. Just the ground is common between the font and the DVD/IR Module.

The old hack was was to use relays or an CD4066 to press the buttons on a VCR.
Do you want to see the IR from a remote or control the DVD playback?

Ahh you want both. Why not just turn the PC into an HTPC?

Last edited:
The old hack was was to use relays or an CD4066 to press the buttons on a VCR.
Do you want to see the IR from a remote or control the DVD playback?

The both... I need learn the all buttons of the remote control, to create a "virtual remote control" in the software. Then, the software over the circuit can inject directly the signal on the DVD...

I can't use IR Led to send the signal. This I already made and work, but some times the DVD loses one signal, and all sequence are compromised...

Why not just turn the PC into an HTPC?

This recorder is of my (old) father. He used it. When him record some videos, he put the text on "chapter". But to do that, it's need, with the remote control, navegate into the letters over the screen. This is has a lot of work!

My father don't know work with software to record DVD. I alredy tried that... Then, I made a while ago another circuit to send signals through the IR Led, but allways the DVD lost some samples...

Why not rip the DVDs on your PC? You can edit them and put them on a media player or burn them onto DVD for your dad.

An HTPC could replace his old DVR setup. The Snapstream Firefly remote is very popular with Windows.

Last edited:
There is no problem to use parallel port. But, could you help me on this circuit to use the parallel port?

An IR receiver IC could connect directly to the parallel port, and a simple transistor buffer could feed the DVD IR input.

You would need to write a program to read the IR signals, and then output similar signals.

I did it years back on a 386 laptop under DOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back