Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Leakage current and LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diver300

Most Helpful Member
This is just comment, there is no question to be answered, but further comments are welcome.

I was working with an LED (uk.farnell.com/1716701) on stripboard, and lighting the LED at extremely low duty cycles, just while testing. I was finding that the LED was glowing a bit when it was supposed to be off.

I soon realised that the brightness depended on how I was holding the board. The LED was lighting visibly with the leakage current through my fingers. I tested another one and it is clearly visible at 2 µA.

It's standard practice to put a resistor from base to emitter of a transistor to make sure that it doesn't turn on from leakage current. A 10 kΩ resistor in parallel fixed the problem, and I'll include one in future where there could be confussion.

More LED fun

I took 2 more of those LEDs (uk.farnell.com/1716701) and connected them in parallel, anode to anode, but to nothing else.

When I held one under a bright light source, a few mm away from one of these uk.farnell.com/1761159 driven at about 140 mA, the LED that was in the dark glowed.

The voltage and current are about 1.6 V and 10 µA

The short circuit current of the illuminated LED was about 30 µA and the open circuit voltage is about 1.6 V

The readings are rather variable as they depend a lot on how well lined up the white LED and the LED used as a solar cell are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back