Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD's and ESD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overclocked

Im building a LCD to parallel hookup for someone over at pimprig.com, I hooked it up, and all I get is the initilazation screen. It stays like that even if I input data from the parallel port.

My Question is, Could it have been damaged enough not to operate (but still turn on to the initalization screen) by ESD?

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2005/12/SSC2F16DLNW-E.pdf

The data sheet says Be Sure you are grounded when Handling LCM. I practically sit in a metal chair at all times, and I never touched it when I was working on it.

Or is it my wiring?

It's possible but not exactly likely. Wiring and other problems are, on the other hand, extremely likely.

So then if I hooked up a pin wrong, the LCD still wont be damaged (except for power)?

Im assuming its probably the Enable pin, since the LCD never recieved or started displaying data.

did you go through the init sequence for the screen?
see page 6 of the datasheet.

If he is using an program from the internet then that is not to wory.

There are tons of such progorams (A lot are open source).

Overclocked said:
So then if I hooked up a pin wrong, the LCD still wont be damaged (except for power)?

Im assuming its probably the Enable pin, since the LCD never recieved or started displaying data.

If you hook up a pin really wrong, like mixing up V+ and V-, sure you can damage it. This would unfortunately be difficult to diagnose without a second LCD when hardware and software problems are likely.

If you have nothing at all on the screen, you probably have not generated a proper contrast voltage. Seems half the experimenters who get stuck have this problem.

Not to menthon an too high contrast voltage will make evry segment go black.You get black blocks.This looks a lot like the LCD has not ben inichalised.Pluging the contrast directly to the 5V rail will cause this,

Well Guys, No need to worry now, since I made a big mistake. When I was unsoldering the wires, I accidentaly got some solder on the nearby resistors. Not thinking, I got a pair of pliers and pulled the solder off. But in doing so, I pulled the Pad off the resistor. Opps

It is repairable, if I get another SMD resistor. But I still wont know if it will still work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back