Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD Pinouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jada88

I have some 2x16 LCD's marked UC-16207-GNAR5-1 made by Samsung, I need to know what the pinouts are as I have burnt one out on connecting to my circuit. I cannot seem to find any data on them on line.

jada88

Most of these displays are standard... I have seen several different combinations, but all the same order.

Most are 1 through 16

1 Vss
2 Vdd
3 Contrast
4 RS
5 RW
6 E
7 D0
~
14 D7
15 Anode (led)
16 Cathode(led)

Some are 14 to 1 then 15 and 16

14 D7
~
7 D0
6 E
5 RW
4 RS
3 Contrast
2 Vdd
1 Vss
15 Anode
16 Cathode

But most keep the same order....

Most of these displays are standard... I have seen several different combinations, but all the same order.

Most are 1 through 16

1 Vss
2 Vdd
3 Contrast
4 RS
5 RW
6 E
7 D0
~
14 D7
15 Anode (led)
16 Cathode(led)

Some are 14 to 1 then 15 and 16

14 D7
~
7 D0
6 E
5 RW
4 RS
3 Contrast
2 Vdd
1 Vss
15 Anode
16 Cathode

But most keep the same order....

Hi Ian Rogers
Many thanks for your quick reply. The only problem is that there is a + sign on pin one and in the corners. Pins 1,2,13 & 14 are marked. Would a photo help?

jada88

Would a photo help?
A photo always helps.
Most of the LCD modules are a variation on a common theme and relativily easy to work out what is what.

JimB

1 to 14 are as described in my earlier post... + and - are the LED connections.. Sometimes these are separate to the others..
Thanks JimB and Ian
I have now taken a photos

Attachments

• IMG_2212.JPG
    IMG_2212.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 472
  • IMG_2213 (2).JPG
    IMG_2213 (2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 483
Yes! It still applies.. 1 through 14 are as I said.. The anode and cathode are on the other side of the unit....

No!! wait a mo..... The + seems to be in all four corners... That doesn't seem right..

The negative terminal (pin 1) is connected to them.. Wait and I'll investigate.

I have found the chip that the unit uses... The segment driver KS0065B... Uses the KS0066U

Here is the pinout... you can then bell it through..

It looks like the data port is in the right place..

Attachments

• ks0066u.bmp
    551 KB · Views: 411
I have found the chip that the unit uses... The segment driver KS0065B... Uses the KS0066U

Here is the pinout... you can then bell it through..

It looks like the data port is in the right place..
Thanks again Ian
So pin 33 on the KS0066U I trace to the connection pin +5V and pin 23 on chip I trace to connection pin GND to power up the LCD. The other chip pins I can trace to RS,R/W,E,DB0 to DB7 etc to there respective connection pins.

jada88

Just looking at the pictures, pin1 of the connector is wired to the mounting points.
Pin1 should be 0v (Vss) in a conventional LCD.
I think that the "+" symbols on the circuit board are just put there to create confusion. (They have succeeded!)

JimB

Just looking at the pictures, pin1 of the connector is wired to the mounting points.
Pin1 should be 0v (Vss) in a conventional LCD.
I think that the "+" symbols on the circuit board are just put there to create confusion. (They have succeeded!)

JimB
Many thanks to JimB and Ian for your advice. The chip is a KS0065B and I traced the pins to the connecting pads, and yes pin 1 is GND and pin 2 +5V. All now seems to be well.

jada88

All now seems to be well.

Another success story!
Thats what we like to hear. :)

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back