Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD module

Status
Not open for further replies.

metoo25

Hello, I'm analyzing this project where they are using 3 push buttons, a LCD module, a potentiometer and some leds. I'm wondering why pin 7-10 and 15-16 is not connected to anything on the LCD module? I have tried to look at the datasheet, and I am still a bit uncertain.

Here are the circuit diagram attached.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Kredsl%C3%B8bLCD.png
    Kredsl%C3%B8bLCD.png
    108.7 KB · Views: 165
The LCD is a character LCD. These typically display 2 lines of 16 characters.

This type of display can (usually) use either 8 data bits or 4. Four-bit mode is used to cut down on the number of port pins required.

Pins 15 & 16 are used for the LCD backlight. Some displays have a backlight, others don't. Quick tip – the backlight uses LEDs. Some displays have the required current-limiting resistor built in, some do not.

Character_LCD_Pinout.png

Hello, I'm analyzing this project where they are using 3 push buttons, a LCD module, a potentiometer and some leds. I'm wondering why pin 7-10 and 15-16 is not connected to anything on the LCD module? I have tried to look at the datasheet, and I am still a bit uncertain.

Here are the circuit diagram attached.

Thank you in advance.

Pins 7-10 can be connected so you can transfer all 8-bits (ascii character or LCD command) in one parallel clock cycle. By leaving them disconnected, you can only transfer 4 bits at a time and it needs two clock cycles for each character or command code. It is just a trade off of how many pins would be needed to control the display vs efficiency of the code. Most people want the extra 4 I/O pins on the microcontroller for other things. But if you have plenty of free pins, go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back