Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD Display question

Status
Not open for further replies.

FNGary

I am an armature at the electronics game but tend to tinker from time to time with little projects. I've been thinking about surveillance projects lately and would like to start putting some ideas into work. One of my ideas is to making my own back-up camera for my truck but why stop at backing up. Why not put cameras at the four corners of the vehicle with a switch box to select the view I need at the time. I know I can acquire all the parts I need to do this from any online components store but I’m sort of a cheap skate and always looking to save a buck (even if it cost me in man hours). As I got to thinking I remembered that I'm always seeing ,in flea markets and yard sales, broken digital cameras, cell phones, portable DVD players, and other similar items with LCD's built into them. Now on to the million dollar question. Is it possible to take a LCD from an electronic device and use it to display images from cameras or computers? Is it possible to hook a salvaged LCD to an RCA or VGA jack?
I don’t know if this is the right forum for this question but if no one has the answers, can you give me a shove in the right direction and suggest a good website? Thanks for taking the time out.

Most cell phone displays I've seen are driven through an synchronous serial interface; I assume that the digital camera displays are similar. This means you'd need some special converter between the video camera and the salvaged screen.

You might just want to stick to NTSC video cameras and displays. Have a look here: **broken link removed**, NTSC cameras from ~$23 & NTSC screens for a little more. Then you just need a video switchbox, which is simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back