Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD display logic and earth ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkidd22

I have a LQ150X1LG91 LCD Module mounted to a metal plate. This plate is connected to earth ground.
My issues is that the LCD module mounting holes are metal and the displays' logic ground is tied to this mounting holes.
What happens then is that the logic ground and earth ground are shorted, anyone have experienced this? Should I be isolating earth and logic ground?

You should not have any problem.
For example your desk top/tower PC has an earth referenced DC supply, so anything you use connected via USB, ports etc. is referenced to earth ground.
The MOBO ground plane is connected to this earth GND.
What is the LCD system fed by, power wise?
If via a SMPS etc, this should not present a problem as the is generally not referenced to ground itself.
Max.

I did some more digging and the chassis ground is tied to logic ground through ferrites by L3,L2 and L10.
This means that also any other sections of the system that uses the same logic/power ground to be tied to the chassis.
I mean would this create some sort of ground loop? or cause other issues?

example.jpg

I would think the circuit would operate as expected, just that the circuit will be referenced to earth GND through the mounting plate.
Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back