Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lcd 16x2 and Usb.Init ()

Status
Not open for further replies.

mauros

The Usb.init () instruction creates problems with LCD display 16x2, depending on where I place it. When Usb.init is not present, the lcd shows anything but if Usb.init () is present, it happens that if for example i write before <lcd.print >

lcd.print ("Hello World!")
if (Usb.Init() == -1)
{while(1);}

"Hello World!" it is displayed on lcd

but if i put <lcd.print > after

if (Usb.Init() == -1)
{while(1);}
lcd .print ("Hello World!")

the lcd does not display anything.

Thanks !!

if (Usb.Init() == -1)
{while(1);}
Whoops.... If USB == -1 then a forever loop... This is just the USB failing... Nothing wrong with the LCD code..

Try this
C:
if (Usb.Init() == -1)
   lcd .print ("USB not found!!");
else
     lcd .print ("USB up and running!!");
{while(1);}

I get that USB up and running. Being sure the USB was found, I tried to remove those two instructions and then it happens that the lcd display works but no longer runs the serial.

Edit:

I practically did not understand what those two instructions do
( I am replicating an existing project but i would like to modify it by adding the lcd display)

Last edited:
An android app created with MIT Inventor sends text to Arduino that must display it on the lcd display. I insert the most significant part of the code since there are more than 400 lines
#include <LiquidCrystal.h>
#include <Usb.h>
#include <usbh_midi.h>
LiquidCrystal lcd(10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5);

USB Usb;
USBH_MIDI Midi(&Usb);

String name;

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(115200); //start serial
lcd.begin(16, 2);

if (Usb.Init() == -1)
{while(1);}
}

void loop() {

if( Serial.available()) { //check for serial
char ch = Serial.read(); //serial message

if (ch == '~') { //song name starts after this

name = ""; //empty the variable
lcd.clear();

for (int i=0; i<99; i++) { //counter to make sure you don't get stuck in an infinite loop
char ch2 = Serial.read(); //read the serial, and store to ch2
if (ch2 == '^') //last character of the transmission, so break
break;
else //otherwise, add the character to the song name
name = name + ch2;

}

Serial.println(name);
lcd.print(name);

}
}
}

Edit:
Sorry I tried to insert the code independently of the message but I did not succeed

Given that various data flow through the serial, to understand when the "name" passes, the protocol provides a start character and one end that says when "name" is finished

To get an idea of the project, I replied what you see in the following video and i would like to add a display to show the title of the song sent from the tablet

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not think that pin 10 was used by the Usb Shield, I knew 11 and 12. The free digital pins I have are numbers 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13. I tried with pin 13 and then with analog pin A5 defined as output (19) but the problem remains

ArduinoPlayground said:
Arduino communicates with the MAX3421E using the SPI bus (through the ICSP header). This is on digital pins 10, 11, 12, and 13 on the Uno and pins 10, 50, 51, and 52 on the Mega. On both boards, pin 10 is used to select the MAX3421E. Pins 7, 8 and 9 are used for GPX, INT and RES pins.

Very restrictive :( No possibility under these conditions ?
It seems that making a change to the library <UsbCore.h> i can use another pin (?)

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the LCD is connected to the USB shield which in turn is connected to Arduino. It could not be otherwise, except I did not understand what you mean

Have you a datasheet for this shield?? Is the LCD officially mounted to the USB shield or did you mount it??

I received the I2C LCD, I replaced the <LiquidCrystal.h> library with <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h> but in a simple writing test nothing appears on the display.
The LiquidCrystal_I2C.h library may also be inappropriate, as it sometimes happened to other users with some 16x2 LCD libraries. Under the code:

**********************************************************************++
#include <Wire.h>
#include <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h>

Char array1 [] = "SunFounder"; // the string to print on the LCD
Char array2 [] = "hello, world!"; // the string to print on the LCD
Int tim = 500; // the value of delay time
// initialize the library with the numbers of the interface pins
LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd (0x27.16.2); // set the LCD address to 0x27 for a 16 chars and 2 line display
/ ************************************************* ******** /
Void setup ()
{
lcd.init (); // initialize the lcd
lcd.backlight (); // open the backlight
}
/ ************************************************* ******** /
Void loop ()
{
lcd.setCursor (15.0); // set the cursor to column 15, line 0
For (int positionCounter1 = 0; positionCounter1 <26; positionCounter1 ++)
{
lcd.scrollDisplayLeft (); // Scrolls the contents of the display one space to the left.
lcd.print (array1 [positionCounter1]); // Print a message to the LCD.
delay (tim); // wait for 250 microseconds
}
lcd.clear (); // Clears the LCD screen and positions the cursor in the upper left corner.
lcd.setCursor (15,1); // set the cursor to column 15, line 1
For (int positionCounter = 0; positionCounter <26; positionCounter ++)
{
lcd.scrollDisplayLeft (); // Scrolls the contents of the display one space to the left.
lcd.print (array2 [positionCounter]); // Print a message to the LCD.
delay (tim); // wait for 250 microseconds
}
lcd.clear (); // Clears the LCD screen and positions the cursor in the upper left corner.
}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back