Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LaunchPad MCU Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have experience with the MSP430's. I did not get the Launchpad as I already use the USB programmer from the EZ430-RF2500 kit.

The MSP430 Yahoo Mailing list is very active.

I have experience with the MSP430's. I did not get the Launchpad as I already use the USB programmer from the EZ430-RF2500 kit.

The MSP430 Yahoo Mailing list is very active.

How do you like those µC's? Do you think they perform well?

I've primarily used the f2xxx series as they support the EZ430 spy-by-wire programmer debugger. I've used these for small applications as Code Composer Studio has a 16k code size limit for the free version. The chips themselves are 16bit and easy to program and are meant for low power application.

I've made small RF devices and lately a freq adjuster for a motorcycle gauge retrofit.

Attachments

• 20100824-tach-adjuster-001.jpg
    20100824-tach-adjuster-001.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 241
I just received an MSP430 Lauchpad today (still only $4.30, including shipping). I heard about it on another Forum.

Maybe Mark (DirtyLude) can help me get started with it?

Meanwhile, I'll start downloading and reading the documentation and see if I can find, download, and install the IDE & language.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
You probably want CCS rather than IAR. CCS has a free 16Kb limit. Get the Core edition and just install support for MSP430.
Download CCS - Texas Instruments Embedded Processors Wiki
Or you can try a less slick GCC solution if you are into that kind of thing.

You can breakout the Spy-By-Wire programming lines and use this to program other MSP430 devices other than the value line as well.
Launchpad not limited to value line chips - Hack a Day

If you want a tutorial on programming MSP430, there's a PDF of MSP430 Microcontroller Basics around the net.

Code examples using the peripherals for the different chip lines.

I realize I didn't put the link to the code examples:
**broken link removed**

The only problem with the peripherals is that there are some compromises made for low power. The peripherals have been simplified, but they've also been merged sometimes so that one peripheral can do many tasks, which complicates things for the programmer. Also lower end chips like the valueline are lacking in many peripherals. I saw an advertisement recently that they were finally releasing one with a UART.

Just getting around to downloading CCS now Mark.

My LaunchPad kit included a micro-miniature 32.768 KHz crystal but I haven't found any docs that suggest what I should do with it. I'll keep reading.

The clock crystal can be attached to the external crystal X1 and X2 pins if you want to do super low power modes. I've never used it except for a test. The crystal pins are multi function and can be used for regular GPIO. Otherwise I assume the valueline is the same as the regular F2xxx parts and does 16Mhz with internal oscillator. The default startup speed is 1Mhz and you can set the speed to several different options depending on the speed you want and the power requirements. Faster = more power hungry.

Hi Mark,

Thank you. I found where the crystal is used in the Learning Lab Workbook.

I've got CCSv4 up-'n-running and sucessfully ran a program on the LaunchPad so I'm geeked.

Do you happen to know where I can find the MSP430 assembly language instruction set? It doesn't seem to be in the **broken link removed****broken link removed**

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. I knew I saw it somewhere.

All of the MSP430G sample programs come in C and Assembler versions, which I thought was kind of cool.

Now I'm trying to figure out if there's a Simulator in CCS (I've already been using the Debugger and that's pretty cool). And I'd also like to figure out if there's a way to look at the compilers assembler output from a C source.

Thank you very much for your help and I apologize for any imposition.

Cheerful regards, Mike

Last edited:
Now I'm trying to figure out if there's a Simulator in CCS (I've already been using the Debugger and that's pretty cool). And I'd also like to figure out if there's a way to look at the compilers assembler output from a C source.

Cheerful regards, Mike
When not in debug mode, look to the Project-Properties for changing output files. Under MSP430 Compiler-Assembler Options there is a box to check for the assembly listing output.

CCS does not have a simulator. IAR has one and I think Crossworks has one. There's not much use to one when you can just plug in the hardware and use it directly.

Yes, but... a Simulator is handy for testing out instruction sequences and timing while I'm learning the instruction set, without having to download a program into a device.

Thank you Kent and Mark...

Either of you Gentlemen know how to represent a binary number in CCS C? I tried all the usual suspects but no joy (%00000100, 0b00000100, and 00000100b)

Last edited:
I could also use a hand trying to change projects in CCSv4, please? How do I switch from the Disp 4-Digit project to LaunchPadLEDexample project?

Oops! I found it by right-clicking on the Project name. Sorry to be a pain guys...

Attachments

• LaunchPad Project.png
    LaunchPad Project.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back