Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Latching relay one input on/off

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1mmuo27

I have a 2014 Ram Longhorn that didn't come with bed lights. I have 12v dc inside the bed from my 7 wire trailer plug. The lights are factory LED. I have a weather proof switch that pulses on/off. I tried using 72472M auto relays. I have a 12V input to turn the lights on & latch on. I push the same switch & the latch releases. I'm looking to see if there is a better way then using 5 relays. Thanks

I am sorry but I fail to understand the problem.

You have a 12v supply, a switch, an LED light unit, that sounds fair enough,
but why do you think you need five relays to turn the power on/off.

A bit more information would be helpful.

JimB

The truck is canbus. I will explain it better. My trailer plug is in the bed. I have a live 12V. The only water proof switch I could find that looks decent was from a 2017 for pickup my buddy has in his. It literally is just a momentary contact. So I need a single input to turn the lights on & off. One push latch on, another push latch off. I am not using a toggle switch. The switch is for a canbus. That's why I am using relays. I am trying to find another way more compact to do the same thing.

Look for an impulse latching relay (a standard latching relay won't work alternately for a pulse input).

The standard 86, 87,87a,30 & 85 relay does work with a pulse on then pulse off. Actually 5 wired together. Problem is they are big when ganged together & when using crimps on them they are a little fragile when in the tail light cut out. I was looking for something smaller.

You will find relay multivibrator circuits online that use one or two relays to provide switched power to automotive circuits. The 40A rating of a common 5-pin relay is suitable for truck box LED lighting, short of using just a center-off momentary or toggle switch without a relay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back