Latching relay one input on/off

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1mmuo27

I have a 2014 Ram Longhorn that didn't come with bed lights. I have 12v dc inside the bed from my 7 wire trailer plug. The lights are factory LED. I have a weather proof switch that pulses on/off. I tried using 72472M auto relays. I have a 12V input to turn the lights on & latch on. I push the same switch & the latch releases. I'm looking to see if there is a better way then using 5 relays. Thanks

I am sorry but I fail to understand the problem.

You have a 12v supply, a switch, an LED light unit, that sounds fair enough,
but why do you think you need five relays to turn the power on/off.

A bit more information would be helpful.

JimB

The truck is canbus. I will explain it better. My trailer plug is in the bed. I have a live 12V. The only water proof switch I could find that looks decent was from a 2017 for pickup my buddy has in his. It literally is just a momentary contact. So I need a single input to turn the lights on & off. One push latch on, another push latch off. I am not using a toggle switch. The switch is for a canbus. That's why I am using relays. I am trying to find another way more compact to do the same thing.

Look for an impulse latching relay (a standard latching relay won't work alternately for a pulse input).

The standard 86, 87,87a,30 & 85 relay does work with a pulse on then pulse off. Actually 5 wired together. Problem is they are big when ganged together & when using crimps on them they are a little fragile when in the tail light cut out. I was looking for something smaller.

You will find relay multivibrator circuits online that use one or two relays to provide switched power to automotive circuits. The 40A rating of a common 5-pin relay is suitable for truck box LED lighting, short of using just a center-off momentary or toggle switch without a relay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…