Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laser Tag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wasabi

I read a few days ago about a "revolutionary new" laser tag system which used "fiber optic sensors" on a vest to sense taggings, and a Laser Diode/fiber optics system in the gun as opposed to traditional IR system used in most guns. Well, this method sounds better, possibly cheaper and more stable with less maintenance required. But can anyone tell me if I wanted to make a similar homebrew system, how to do so using fiber optics? I'm particularly curious about a fiber optic sensor. I've never even heard of one. Doesn't mean there's no such thing, but how do you make one? They're supposed to be more accurate than the sensors regularly used in laser tag (photodiodes I suppose?) And less errant in the daylight. This definitely sounds better than the present and traditional technology. Help anyone?

Wasabi said:
I read a few days ago about a "revolutionary new" laser tag system which used "fiber optic sensors" on a vest to sense taggings, and a Laser Diode/fiber optics system in the gun as opposed to traditional IR system used in most guns. Well, this method sounds better, possibly cheaper and more stable with less maintenance required. But can anyone tell me if I wanted to make a similar homebrew system, how to do so using fiber optics? I'm particularly curious about a fiber optic sensor. I've never even heard of one. Doesn't mean there's no such thing, but how do you make one? They're supposed to be more accurate than the sensors regularly used in laser tag (photodiodes I suppose?) And less errant in the daylight. This definitely sounds better than the present and traditional technology. Help anyone?

I would suggest they simply use fibre optics to feed multiple target points to a single sensor, where normally multiple sensors are used.

Exactly

Nigel, you're right on. But what are the target points made of?
**broken link removed** (scroll down towards the bottom to the picture of the vest) as you can see it is noticeably lighter than your usual IR vest because it uses less circuitry. The targets are what baffles me because they are programmable in that the operator chooses which color the targets glow thus allowing for team differentiations. Since there is less spread on the beam the targets are bigger than those on your regular IR vest. They're actually different sizes too.What material could these be made of though? Something that has the capability to be lighted different colors and that will attach to optical fiber???

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back