Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laser/IR Ranging...Inexpensive, 25ft Range, Accurate

Status
Not open for further replies.

woooooofa

Thanks for having me, this is my first post!

I would like to create a distance/ranging device using an existing inexpensive (<$20.00) technology. I would just need to know the distance to ~1". The IR proximity sensors I had seen before (Sharp) max out at ~30 inches. I would need to increase the range considerably more than that, hopefully to about 15-25 feet (or at least 10). It is OK to have some sort of transmitter or reflector on the object to be distanced. Is there a way to boost the range on the IR sensors or would laser be a better option? Can I make/find a laser ranging system that is inexpensive enough? Thank you ever so much!

I don't think you can make time of flight or phase laser ranging cheaply. I think you might be better off looking at ultrasonic range finders. You can get prebuilt ones, like the SRF04 for $25.00. A little over your price range. Otherwise theres schematics out there for homemade versions.

Ranging

This may be helpful:
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back