Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LANC Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Booher

Hello. we have a project to remotly start a Sony DV900 recorder and stop it. I have found some code and a chip but would like to tye it all together. It does not have to be fancy. The VCR will be on just need to remotely start the record and then stop it. Thanks

Robert Booher said:
Hello. we have a project to remotly start a Sony DV900 recorder and stop it. I have found some code and a chip but would like to tye it all together. It does not have to be fancy. The VCR will be on just need to remotely start the record and then stop it. Thanks

LANC is a bit more complicated than simple RC (because it's bi-directional), I was toying with using it to remote control an old Sony camcorder I have (with a duff recorder) that I use as a camera. But, like many things, I never got around to it.

If you have a look at my PIC tutorials at http://www.winpicprog.co.uk I have a tutorial about transmitting and receiving Sony SIRC commands - it would be very trivial to start and stop your VCR via IR remote control from a PIC.

LANC is bi directional 9600 baud serial, 1 start bit 2 stop bits. The device under control continuously transmits data packets. The first two bytes are all zeros. This is where you insert commands. The remaining bytes are status bytes.
Heres what you have to do, Wait for the start bit of byte 1, do nothing for 1 bit time then send 8 data bits for the desired function. Dont bother with the stop bits their generated by the recorder.
I have attached a schematic of the lanc portion of one of my controllers.

Attachments

• lanc.jpg
    lanc.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,156
from what I have read to comunacated with a sony camcorder via the Lanc from a pic micro the pic must have a open drain are open collector output. which the chips i have programmed 12f629/675 /16f630/676 do not. and because of the close timing need must be programmed in Assembly. working on this project I have found nothing but dead ends.
If anyone has worked with the lanc and what answer a few ?'s please post

from what I have read to comunacated with a sony camcorder via the Lanc from a pic micro the pic must have a open drain are open collector output.

Not at all, it's similar to doing I2C - essentially you set the output pin permanently LOW, and use the TRIS register to switch the pin from input to output as you want it setting HIGH and LOW.

I've used LANC way back when I had a VCR. It's a stereo 1/8" jack if I recall. It is open collector for sure. I'll look through your .zip when I get to my PC

thanks
I believe I understand what your saying:
when your sending data to the camera I think your just shorting between Lanc and ground and open,you do this by output -low to short - switch to input for open. when your reading data to find the start bit the pin is a input.
so I could basically us any Pic chip.
Next problem: Like I said what programming I do I do with Pic basic Pro
and from what I have read this would need to be done in Assemble.
anybody interested in giving me a hand with that part?
Thanks

thanks
I believe I understand what your saying:
when your sending data to the camera I think your just shorting between Lanc and ground and open,you do this by output -low to short - switch to input for open. when your reading data to find the start bit the pin is a input.
so I could basically us any Pic chip.

Yes, any PIC.

Next problem: Like I said what programming I do I do with Pic basic Pro
and from what I have read this would need to be done in Assemble.
anybody interested in giving me a hand with that part?
Thanks

Assembler certainly has more chance, check the ZIP file I posted the link to above.

project example with 16f88

I did a project with the 16f88, with this the lanc signal is directly wired to the pic pin. That project also needed to turnon the camera while the pic was unpowered, this is a seperate circuit you can ignore as needed.

grace03.home.att.net

Last edited:
Thank you some much gracet. for you post. I will look over you stuff as soon as I can but it looks like it will be a lot of help.
pm sent

A value of that project is that when simpified that parts count can be very low. I included a smaller version that idea at the bottom.

Reprogramming pins for the lanc codes is not hard. But you need to read a minimum of code to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back