Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lab quality Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still,using two transformers is a silly idea, it would be far more economic to use a single transformer with two secondaries.

Still,using two transformers is a silly idea, it would be far more economic to use a single transformer with two secondaries.

Depends on what you have access to! Is buying a 48 volt 80 VA cheaper than using two 24 volt 40 VA's you pulled off something for free? ;)

Price is only relative to what you know and where you shop! :)

Has no one caught that the posted circuit diagram done by the OP in his first post is a dual voltage setup? Thus thats why it has two transformers.

Because it wasn't worth mentioning?, it's perfectly normal.

I'm sure we all noticed it was a dual rail supply, and as such would normally use a split transformer or one with two separate windinds - but two identical and separate transformers is perfectly fine.

Thanks for the advice on reading the book twice! I have been doing just that. I read the chapter straight through, then I have been printing out the practice exams and reading the chapters again, this time picking out the answers to the exam. I also have been searching up the subjects as I go.

As for the powersupply design, It looks like the most I will have into the powersupply money wise will be about $75 assuming I buy most components new. The transformers where only $22 each new from digikey. I understand people problems with this design and realise it is out of date by todays standards. However I would prefer at this time to build something as per the suggestions. This way I have something concrete to compare to in reference to the book! This thread has peaked my interest and when I am finished I plan to search for a different variable voltage shop power supply to build, then this will give me the ability to compare the differences and see in hand what advances have been made.

IF it matters the author of this book works mainly with audio signals. thus this supply will have three end terminals (pos, neg and common). Not sure if this clearifies any information up!

Thanks for all the input! and thanks for helping me learn all I can!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back