Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

L298n IC socket, urgent!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

microzone

Hi, I just bought a L298n a bipolar stepper motor I which is 15 pins IC. May I know how do I find its IC socket because I can't find this IC socket and just modify a 18 pin IC socket. It is not so good because it is easy short circuit if modify with this way. May I know has anyone has an idea or has seen this socket before? Can you please tell me? Thanks.

Nigel Goodwin said:
You solder it in place, it's not intended to be socketed!.

Thanks Nigel Goodwin. Do you mean I can directly solder this L298n into my PCB board? Will this damage my L298n IC? I still have a question that I cannot solve. DO you know how to find EE-SX1070 (a Omron opto switch sensor) schematic symbol and its footprint? I am a Protel 2004 newbies. Can you show me the way? Thanks. :)

microzone said:
Thanks Nigel Goodwin. Do you mean I can directly solder this L298n into my PCB board? Will this damage my L298n IC?

Not if you solder it correctly! - modern IC's are pretty hardy devices, and the time soldering them should only take seconds anyway.

I still have a question that I cannot solve. DO you know how to find EE-SX1070 (a Omron opto switch sensor) schematic symbol and its footprint? I am a Protel 2004 newbies. Can you show me the way? Thanks. :)

Sorry, but I don't use any PCB packages.

microzone said:
DO you know how to find EE-SX1070 (a Omron opto switch sensor) schematic symbol and its footprint? I am a Protel 2004 newbies. Can you show me the way? Thanks. :)

The easiest way is to just make the footprint yourself. I'm using an older version of Protel, and it only takes me ~10min to make a simple symbol + footprint. The first time I did that, it took about an hour or so. There should be a tutorial on doing this somewhere in Protel's help files, and it's definitely time well spent.

hjames said:
The easiest way is to just make the footprint yourself. I'm using an older version of Protel, and it only takes me ~10min to make a simple symbol + footprint. The first time I did that, it took about an hour or so. There should be a tutorial on doing this somewhere in Protel's help files, and it's definitely time well spent.

Thanks hjames. Do you have EE-SX1070 (a Omron opto switch sensor) symbol + footprint or do you have its tutorial? Thanks. :)

Last edited:
giaosucan said:
do you want to control stepper motor ???
you can use IC ULN2803 or 2003 ,i used to use it to control my stepper motor .In addition ,you can design a schematic with IRF540 , that's good
good luck

Thanks, giaosucan. Can use IC ULN2803 or 2003 to control bipolar stepper motor? I use L297 + L298n, it is because I find its datasheet and component from Farnell. Therefore I have use these component. Do you create 15 pin socket yourself and how?

hjames said:

Thanks hjames. Do you have EE-SX1070 (a Omron opto switch sensor) symbol + footprint or do you have its tutorial? Thanks. :)

**broken link removed**

All the required measurements are on the first page of the data sheet. Those are all the dimensions you need to create a footprint - just copy the footprint from another part (like a 4 pin dip), and modify the spacing accordingly. Ditto for the symbol.

Honestly, I use Protel because I can get work done with it. It *IS* boring, tedious, and at times I'd like nothing better than to reformat the machine and nuke it - and I get paid $xx an hour to do stuff with it which makes up for it. Now, suggestions, hints, general knowledge, those are all good things and easy freebies, but when dealing with grunt work (and making symbols and footprints *is* grunt work), I'm going to be a skinflint and refuse to do.

And if you want another reason, making footprints and symbols isn't cut and dry. Depending on who you have manufacture your board, you'll need to have a lot of knowledge about the board - available hole sizes, plated hole sizes, inner layer keepouts, solder mask pullbacks, etc. Ditto with the symbols - a rectangle with 4 pins is sufficient for my design purposes, but if you ever show the schematic to anyone else, you'll probably get an earful, followed by an endless stream of questions.

L298n Footprint in Orcad

Hi,

I am doing PCB Layout in Orcad and am using the 15-pin L298N dual H-Bridge IC from National Semiconductor. Can anyone tell me the footprint of this device? (Multiwatt15 package)

Thanks,
Sandeep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back