Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

L298 H-bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianvon

Hi all,

I am using the L298 IC to control a 12V 2A motor. If i connect the circuit as shown in the attached diagram, will it work ok? and what fly-back diodes do you suggest? (in the datasheet it say it must be 'fast recovery elements (trr 3 200 nsec) that must be chosen of a VF as low as possible').

Another question, if the enable pin is set to 0v when the h-bridge is not in use, will it consume less current?

Thanks is advance.

You can use a small schottky diode like the 1N58XX type. Yes, when not enabled it only draws 6 ma.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

From the datasheet i can see that the 1N58xx can handle 1A. Is that ok to use for my 2A motor?

Thanks.

Yes, should be ok. Notice the peak current is 25 A. 1 A average. The maximum current in the diode occures at 50% of the pwm so the current is about 1A and only 50% of the duty cycle. So the diode current is only about 1/2 A.
The picture shows it better than the words.

The datasheet for the L298 shows that with a motor current of 2A then the saturation voltage loss at the motor can be as high as 5.0V so with a 12V supply then the motor gets only 7V.
Will your motor produce enough power with a supply of only 7V?

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

The datasheet for the L298 shows that with a motor current of 2A then the saturation voltage loss at the motor can be as high as 5.0V so with a 12V supply then the motor gets only 7V.
Will your motor produce enough power with a supply of only 7V?

Can i increase the supply voltage to 17V to compensate for the voltage loss??

EDIT: The datasheet shows that the 5V drop is when Vs is 42V. Can it be that the voltage drop is less when Vs is 12v??

Last edited:
Another question, it it normal to have approx 0.5V on the ground rail when the h-bridge and motor are active?

Last edited:
Another question, it it normal to have approx 0.5V on the ground rail when the h-bridge and motor are active?
Pin 1 and pin 15 are pins that can have current-sensing resistors to ground. Your resistors are 0.5V/2A= 0.25 ohms.
Don't use the resistors if you don't want their voltage drop. Then connect pin 1 and pin 15 to ground.

Hi,

Another question. The datasheet states that:

Turn-On and Turn-Off : Before to Turn-ON the Supply
Voltage and before to Turn it OFF,the Enable input
must be driven to the Low state.

Why is this? and will i damage the h-bridge if i do not follow this step?

Why is this? and will i damage the h-bridge if i do not follow this step?
The datasheet doesn't show it but the IC AND-gate logic may have a protection diode on the Enable input pin. If so, having the pin High when the supply voltage is Low could cause damaging current to flow through the diode.

I may be wrong but I think I have seen that the chip can glitch the output on power up and down if it is not disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back