Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

L293D H-Bridge: Is it effective to run a small DC motor in a model

Status
Not open for further replies.

rancid rock

hey,

I was wondering if the L293D H-Bridge is effective in running a small DC motor for a model representation of a door.

If not, have you found a another H-Bridge that could do this job effectively and simply.

because apparently the L293D is capable of running a stepper motor !

thanks,

I don't know much about h-bridges but there are many posts on this forum about h-bridges and from what i can gather the h-bridge can run a dc motor forwards and backwards and i can see no reason why it should not work for your task. The L293D is very commonly used for driving stepper motors and dc motors.

i suppose it depends upon the specifications of your motor,

DC operating voltage?
current draw?

i'm no expert on h-bridges.

hope this helps:)

don't forget a reverse biased diode across the windings to prevent counter electro motive force.

rancid, you need to tell us what current your motor will pull. if it's a small motor, I'd bet the current level will be fairly small and thus the L293D will work just fine. You will only need 1/2 of it, by the way.

Russlk said:
I built a servo to drive a small antenna using LM324 op amp, so power is not necessarily needed.

It's got to have been an absolutely tiny motor?, an LM324 can provide hardly any current at all? - I'm doubtful there's a motor that low power? (that could move anything worthwhile).

Nigel Goodwin said:
It's got to have been an absolutely tiny motor?, an LM324 can provide hardly any current at all? - I'm doubtful there's a motor that low power? (that could move anything worthwhile).

I built it and it worked. The motor was about 3cm in diameter, don't remember the voltage, probably 6 volts because it was powered by batteries. The dish antenna was to float on the water, the servo kept it ponted at the satellite.

i preferably wanted the most simple H-Bridge possible thanks, it only needs to move a very small and light piece of wood that will be on wheels or a rack.

Does the motor need to go both ways??

If so then just use the L293D.

If not a couple of transistors will do it.

yes well when u open a door, u would like it to close....

so yeh both ways is essential

thanks for the quik replies and the L293D is too much power, it can control a stepper motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back