L293D H-Bridge: Is it effective to run a small DC motor in a model

Status
Not open for further replies.

rancid rock

hey,

I was wondering if the L293D H-Bridge is effective in running a small DC motor for a model representation of a door.

If not, have you found a another H-Bridge that could do this job effectively and simply.

because apparently the L293D is capable of running a stepper motor !

thanks,

I don't know much about h-bridges but there are many posts on this forum about h-bridges and from what i can gather the h-bridge can run a dc motor forwards and backwards and i can see no reason why it should not work for your task. The L293D is very commonly used for driving stepper motors and dc motors.

i suppose it depends upon the specifications of your motor,

DC operating voltage?
current draw?

i'm no expert on h-bridges.

hope this helps

don't forget a reverse biased diode across the windings to prevent counter electro motive force.

rancid, you need to tell us what current your motor will pull. if it's a small motor, I'd bet the current level will be fairly small and thus the L293D will work just fine. You will only need 1/2 of it, by the way.

I built a servo to drive a small antenna using LM324 op amp, so power is not necessarily needed.

Russlk said:
I built a servo to drive a small antenna using LM324 op amp, so power is not necessarily needed.

It's got to have been an absolutely tiny motor?, an LM324 can provide hardly any current at all? - I'm doubtful there's a motor that low power? (that could move anything worthwhile).

Nigel Goodwin said:
It's got to have been an absolutely tiny motor?, an LM324 can provide hardly any current at all? - I'm doubtful there's a motor that low power? (that could move anything worthwhile).

I built it and it worked. The motor was about 3cm in diameter, don't remember the voltage, probably 6 volts because it was powered by batteries. The dish antenna was to float on the water, the servo kept it ponted at the satellite.

i preferably wanted the most simple H-Bridge possible thanks, it only needs to move a very small and light piece of wood that will be on wheels or a rack.

Does the motor need to go both ways??

If so then just use the L293D.

If not a couple of transistors will do it.

yes well when u open a door, u would like it to close....

so yeh both ways is essential

thanks for the quik replies and the L293D is too much power, it can control a stepper motor

What are you using for a controller? a PIC micro can output 20 mA which is enuf to drive a small toy motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…