Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

keypad encoder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mel_noypi

hi

I have a project which use a 4x3 keyapd with keys position similar to that of an odinary teliphone. I have Purchase a MM74C922N keypad encoer. the problem is that i found out that it is a 16 bit keypad encoder intended for a 4x4 keypad..
im looking for a IC keypad encoder which is applicable to the 4x3 keypad which i intended to use.

do any one knows any part number for a common keypad encoder IC that i can use for my project.

tenx.

Mel_noypi said:
hi

I have a project which use a 4x3 keyapd with keys similar to that of an odinary teliphone. I have Purchase a MM74C922N keypad encoer. the problem is that i found out that it is a 16 bit keypad encoder intended for a 4x4 keypad..
im looking for a IC keypad encoder which is applicable to the 4x3 keypad which i intended to use.

do any one knows any part number for a common keypad encoder IC that i can use for my project.

Just ignore the extra pin, you don't need a different IC - you may have to add a pull-up or pull-down resistor to it, check the datasheet for the chip.

Yes i did at first ignore the pin for column 4 since 4x3 keypad do not have a 4rt column. but it output a different binary codes. when i study its datasheets i found out why it is not applicable to my keypad becouse the keys positioning of a 4x3 and 4x4 are different, so their are different row and colomn combination needed to represent the values or numbers printed on each keys.so as a solution i thought i would just adjust the row and column combination so that it could fit the nessesary position for the IC. but i was wrong it cant be done. so i decided to find a replacment IC.

If you are unlucky with part numbers, you could make yourself an encoder.

Just use a bunch of diodes to make one, and connect some anodes together.

As for finding an encoding chip, the best you will get is either a 8-3 encoder or a 16-4 decoder. The 8-3 encoder converts a number from 1 to 8 into a 3-bit binary number. The 16-4 encoder converts a number from 1 to 16 into a 4-bit binary number.

Try Nigel's suggestion first and make sure that the top 4 values are pulled down. That way you get an encoder from 1 to 12 instead of 1 to 16.

Or you could use a PIC to make an encoder? - one of my tutorials reads a 4x4 HEX keypad using a PIC, and gives the changes required for a 4x3 keypad. It uses a look-up table, so you can allocate any value to any key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back