Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR encoder/ decoder in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean this ? **broken link removed**

I did a search for Holtek on their website and it came up with nothing. It's not even clear what the 40110 is, they haven't put the manufacturer's name on the page as far as I can see..?

...Well ok if I try to use a PIC as the decoder, is there an encoder available in the UK that I can mount on a breadboard? (I've tried salvaging from a VCR kit but that was PCB mounted.)

You mean this ? **broken link removed**

No, that's just a simple logic IC.

I did a search for Holtek on their website and it came up with nothing. It's not even clear what the 40110 is, they haven't put the manufacturer's name on the page as far as I can see..?

Perhaps it's been discontinued now?, look for holtek ht12a

...Well ok if I try to use a PIC as the decoder, is there an encoder available in the UK that I can mount on a breadboard? (I've tried salvaging from a VCR kit but that was PCB mounted.)

You use a PIC for both. If you mean the IR receiver IC, it's a simple three pin device.

This part is available from **broken link removed** if that is any help.

This part is available from **broken link removed** if that is any help.

Thanks, is there any way to know that it is breadboard compatible ?

I have ordered stuff online before (from Maplin, incidentally) that had a photo of it being breadboard compatible but it wasn't when I received the part.

I have ordered stuff online before (from Maplin, incidentally) that had a photo of it being breadboard compatible but it wasn't when I received the part.

Extract from the Rapid screen:
HT12A-18DIP REMOTE CONTROL ENCODER (RC)

it says 18 pin DIP, Dual Inline Package, [Republic of China]

Last edited:

You should be able to find out the spacing and dimensions of the pins by looking at the datasheet, check that they are suitably spaced and sized for use with your breadboard and there should be no problem.

What do you mean by 'breadboard compatible'?.

Nigel

I believe the the OP is asking if the chip will fit on their breadboard and is not for example surface mount.
As this is what he first asked in post #1 and has been verified by myself and on the posted data-sheet (thanks Eric) I do not believe there to be a problem.

Rupert

Extract from the Rapid screen:
HT12A-18DIP REMOTE CONTROL ENCODER (RC)

it says 18 pin DIP, Dual Inline Package, [Republic of China]

So would I be right in saying that because it is DIP (Dual Inline Packaged), it can be put onto a breadboard - and there's no way that the spacing and molding of the pins would prevent it being put onto a breadboard if it is DIP? I just want to clarify this.

Dual in-line package - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia seems to suggest this, much as I loathe to rely on wikipedia.

Please remember I am completely new to do-it-yourself electronics ...

Last edited:
Many thanks to those who took the time to reply and clear all that up.

Attachments

• 29zonzt.jpg
    29zonzt.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 260
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back