Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Keeping a battery charged between two voltages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jules

I want a simple way to keep a 12 volt gel cell charged between a range of voltages (approx 10.5 volts and 13.8 volts), and to disconnect the load when it falls below 10.5 volts, and reconnect at 13.8 volts. I am using an 18 volt solar cell as the power source, and this has an amplified zener to regulate its voltage to a fairly stable 13.8 volts, but it can fall below this when dark!
I have looked at a window comparator circuit, but it needs a stable supply voltage. Any ideas? Thanks

Put an isolating diode in series with your 12v cell and feed that with a regulated 14.4v from the solar cell. You can leave it permanently connected because this will 'float-charge' the cell at 13.8v.

like pebe said, just isolate the solar panel fro the battery with a suitable sized diode. many solar panels have this either built into them or have connection points provided. It is needed to prevent "back-feed" from the battery to the solar panel when there is no light, to prevent heating and damaging the solar panel. the solar panels I use are setup this way when multiple panels are strung together, and to prevent the batteries damaging the panels.

Thanks for the ideas. I already have a diode between battery and solar panel, but the battery is then used to power a 130mA 12 V cooling fan (switches on at 70F). During the day, the fan takes more current than is being replaced by the 18 V solar panel (100mA in sunlight) and eventually the battery gets to 9 V - not good for gel cells! I want to stop the battery discharging below a set point, say 11 volts, and switch off the fan until the battery has a healthy charge, say 14 volts. I need a simple switching circuit to control this voltage range.

Hi Jules, That LM339 Circuit I sent you will do what you want.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back