Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

KBr Crystal Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

tansis

It's been a few weeks since my last bout of cranial anarchy so I think another brain teaser is in order, well more of a quest this time.

Delving into the history of the transistor and semi-conductor theory one will find repeated references to the work of Robert Pohl and Rudolph Hilsch. Now back in 1938 they claim to have created a three electrode (Potassium Bromide) crystal amplifier, with a reputed current gain of 100 to 1 and some rather curious operating properties, however its performance made it unsuitable for many uses such as RF and audio amplifiication, so it was banished to history, well almost.

What I would like to know is..
Has anyone managed to build a duplicate device in more recent times?

Is there any record of how they did it? I once tried to make a transistor by adding a 2nd point contact to a 1N34 crystal diode, but I didn't know what I was doing and it did not work.

Have yet to find any detailed info myself, I intend to have an hour or two trawling through the Patent Office website some time over the weekend.

Sebi has found a remarkable piece of history from the Bell Telephone Laboratories, a copy of the orginal notes for the first transistor dated December 1947

Want to make your own transistors ?, try this link for inspiration...
**broken link removed**

It takes a while to load but the images at the bottom/end of the page are fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back