Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

K-Map minimization question - why it not optimal?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kruz89

I have a K-Map and need to solve it.
My minimization is:

but my teacher tells me that this is not a minimal form, and requires me to find a more minimal form. I can't understand why this minimization is not most minimal. Anybody can explain me what I am doing wrong?

Thank you for help!!!

Last edited:
Kruz89,

but my teacher tells me that this is not a minimal form, and requires me to find a more minimal form. I can't understand why this minimization is not most minimal. Anybody can explain me what I am doing wrong?

Your teacher is correct. You have not covered all the terms as efficiently as you could. The answer is x2' x4' x5' + x1 x2' x5' +x2 x6 +x1 x4' x5 + x2' x3' x4'

Ratch

x2' x4' is the same for !x2&!x4 ? Your record is not absolutely clear

I will check up your results, but I would like to learn, how you have made it?
Can you explain the algorithm to me?

Kruz89,

x2' x4' is the same for !x2&!x4 ? Your record is not absolutely clear

Using an apostrophe is a standard method to designate an inverted variable. Using nothing between variables is a standard method of designating an AND operation. Using a plus sign is a standard method of designating an OR operation. I am surprised you have not come across this method, which looks cleaner than ! and &.

I will check up your results, but I would like to learn, how you have made it?
Can you explain the algorithm to me?

I used no algorithm. I just looked at the K-map and used all the "don't cares" I could. You can see if it is correct by mapping each of the 5 terms I gave onto the K-map, and see if they cover all the 1s. That will also tell you how you missed some of the "don't cares" you could have included.

Ratch

Thank you for explain about apos after name for inverted variable. Usually we use the '~' or '!' before var, and apos is special sign for function or variable. Plus, vertical bar, ampersand or mult sign are known for me, thank you, I'm not stupid

Thanks for help!!
I found the solution: y1 = x2 x6 | !x2 !x5 !x6 | x1 !x4 x5 | !x1 !x2 !x3 x5;
My general miss is that the standalone covers can be merged

Kruz89,

The last term, x1' x2' x3' x5, can be changed to x2' x3' x4' for an even greater optimization.

Ratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back