Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Just watering the yard. tcmtech style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Banned
Most Helpful Member
Ever do some thing thats ordinary and normal but then look at your personal approach to it and if you didn't know yourself you would think your a bit off your rocker? :D

Well today I hooked up the yard sprinkler system for the summer. Not unusual but... I use ten 3.5 GPM impact type sprinklers and a 3 HP six stage 85 PSI 35 GPM pump to draw water out of my stream and water the yard.
Yep. It looks like I am watering a golf course when I power up! :p

If your wondering, I live out in the country and I have a very big yard. (70,000 sq ft roughly thats mowed ans waterable) I also live on a hill side and need to pump water up about 40 feet in elevation before I get to the average hight of the main yard. and then an additional 30 feet for the back yard. Thats where the 3 HP 85 PSI six stage pump comes in.
The rest rather just worked out to needing ten sprinklers because thats the capacity the pump can keep up with without shutting off. Plus the 1000 feet of 5/8 and 3/4 inch garden hose had to be used for something! (fall clearance sale 80% off!)

I got the pump several years ago as a surplus unit for next to nothing and in a rather over done excuse to actually justify having it I put it on the yard sprinkler system.
Still not to bad considering it typically takes three full days and nights to water the entire yard to the tune of around 120,000 gallons, or about 1 million gallons a season! :eek:
I have a large capacity water meter that needed to be justified in having as well, surplus find of course! Thats why I know how much water I use.

So how do you water your yard? Conservative old man with a hose or industrial tech nut with way to much surplus goodies and creativity on his hands? :)

Conservative old man with a hose. My yard is only 2700 sqft.

Front yard (600 sq ft.) is watered once a month by spillage from car washing. Car is washed from a bucket and (illegally) rinsed from hose. (If I rinsed during watering hours below it would possibly be legal.)

Back yard is 1080 sq ft. watered once a week. (Lawn watering is only legal on Tuesday and Saturday before 9am and after 6pm.)

No problem here, I just leave the "yard" (or lawn in UK speak) outside and the rain does the job for me!:D

JimB

Over here us Ozzies just dwink a heap of beer then go water the yard plants

We're on 3 acres (12,000 sqM, 120,000sqft) and if it doesn't rain it goes brown. The only bit we try to keep green is around our pool and barbeque area and we probably only water that a few times a year.

Mike.

We're on 3 acres (12,000 sqM, 120,000sqft) and if it doesn't rain it goes brown. The only bit we try to keep green is around our pool and barbeque area and we probably only water that a few times a year.

Mike.

What are the rain patterns and seasons in Brisbane , where you live in?

We have watering restrictions, night time, 1 hour, before 7AM, 2 days a week. The grass is just a bit browner than it was last year:

Attachments

• Bob's Place.PNG
    Bob's Place.PNG
    856.4 KB · Views: 226
I love country living! My only water restriction is when the stream gets pumped dry! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back