Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Just checking before I start soldering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaguarjoe

An alternator, such as an automobile has, has a rotating field with two leads to it. Is this polarity sensitive? It's only a fancy electromagnet, I don't see where polarity matters. Am I right?

No it doesn't matter, the output is AC anyway, and is rectified to give DC.

It WOULD matter though in a dynamo, where the rectification is done mechanically (by the brushes/commutator).

In fact with a dynamo on an old car you can reverse it's polarity simply by reversing the car battery and pulsing the field coil, to make it's residual magnetism the other way round.

As Nigel says, it doesn't matter. It changes the phase of the AC waveform by 180 degrees with respect to the rotor pole positions but that has no effect on the rectified output.

Bear in mind that the rectifier diodes are probably inside the alternator, so what comes out from the alternator terminals is DC. Polarity then does matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back