Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Just bought a new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corsair is good ram; however Mushkin does have much better stability than Corsair on the higher end DDR3. Both companies have very skilled tech support.

What’s so good about Mercedes Benz? Personally I like BMW better. I think Mercedes is of no better quality than Toyota Lexus, except that Mercedes is highly overpriced...
IMHO, Corsair reigns supreme regarding RAM and SMPS for 'puters. As for Mercedes, they are cutting edge developers from way back. BMW may have a few models that shine, but overall Benz is a leader in the pack of automotive technology. They have projects in the works that BMW hasn't even thought of nor cares to develop.

Sheesh all this talk about high end new puters... My old 1 gig celery chip shed puter was doggidy slow so after a quick search I got 3 512meg ram chips for $36 delivered and now that old box runs quicker than my sons new 2 gig laptop. I must say 90 secs to fully boot XP pro and even less to shutdown aint too shabby for a 1 gig mobo. Hopefully this extra ram will give the grunt needed to run Kcam for my new cnc machine I'm making.

Cheers Bryan

Sheesh all this talk about high end new puters... My old 1 gig celery chip shed puter was doggidy slow so after a quick search I got 3 512meg ram chips for $36 delivered and now that old box runs quicker than my sons new 2 gig laptop. I must say 90 secs to fully boot XP pro and even less to shutdown aint too shabby for a 1 gig mobo. Hopefully this extra ram will give the grunt needed to run Kcam for my new cnc machine I'm making.

I know what you mean!
My brother custom built me this super computer and my stripped down dedicated service files computer running windows Me with its 800 MHz, 256 meg ram, and two 20 gig hard drives still beats it on startup, file opening, and most every thing but kick ass video games( which I dont care for or play anyway).
So what was the near 4 times faster dual core processor and two gig of ram suposed to do for me? :confused:

Other than use twice the power, never shut off the monitors or go into standby more than two or three times before it desides everything should just always stay on, no matter what power mode I put it in, Plus automaticaly delete any program I do not use for more than two weeks, or spend more time thinking about how to play video or music than the old machine took. :mad:

But I do at least get the opportunity to send micro shaft an error report about every 10 - 20 minutes I am on it! :mad:

I know what you mean!
My brother custom built me this super computer and my stripped down dedicated service files computer running windows Me with its 800 MHz, 256 meg ram, and two 20 gig hard drives still beats it on startup, file opening, and most every thing but kick ass video games( which I dont care for or play anyway).
So what was the near 4 times faster dual core processor and two gig of ram suposed to do for me? :confused:

Other than use twice the power, never shut off the monitors or go into standby more than two or three times before it desides everything should just always stay on, no matter what power mode I put it in, Plus automaticaly delete any program I do not use for more than two weeks, or spend more time thinking about how to play video or music than the old machine took. :mad:

But I do at least get the opportunity to send micro shaft an error report about every 10 - 20 minutes I am on it! :mad:

ME was slow and a pile. I now use WIN2K, as I like it better than XP. It is faster, and less big brother software to deal with. Closer to Win NT.

Sorry my mistake. The service files computer is running windows 2000 not Me. Shows you how much I know about my computers! :eek:

Still I gave everything I could find that was not related to reading a service file or playing a song or video the boot! I think that cut the main software down to less than half its original as installed size!;):)

And WOW does clearing the useless dead weight crap out of the windows software do wonders for speeding everything up! ;):)
In 4 years of operation it has not once crashed, locked up or generated a single error report! :)
And every time I am done using it the screen shuts off and it goes to sleep when its supposed to!:)

But my new system more than makes up for it though. :mad:

Believe me, if it were running Windows ME you would know! I have never seen a stable ME machine in my life, longest I've ever seen one up for is like 2 days.

1GHz, 2GHz, 3GHz big deal! It's the FSB speed and RAM type that makes a noticeable difference. DDR3 at least 800MHz will speed things along nicely.... it gets better from there if the MOBO provides for higher speeds, like 1333MHz.

1GHz, 2GHz, 3GHz big deal! It's the FSB speed and RAM type that makes a noticeable difference. DDR3 at least 800MHz will speed things along nicely.... it gets better from there if the MOBO provides for higher speeds, like 1333MHz.

sorry your fogetting the one bottleneck that will never go away, hard disk speed ! any machine these days will out run its hard disk in no time, a good way to give things a kick is have a nice 4+ GB of ram and disable the pagefile, that way the disk does not get used as ram (yes it does that by default even when there are oodles of ram left), I have 8 GB of ram and no pagefile enabled, made a world of difference.

FSB and RAM speed is not a big bottleneck anymore. You will find minimal real world difference spending money maximizing these. If you want to increase your synthetic benchmarks, sure, go for it.

Also DDR3 has no real benefit at the moment over equivalent DDR2. Maybe if you're running i7.

Last edited:
The problem with DDR is that its not in practice what it is in theory, I beleive you need to have the neccesity to access certain addresses consecutively for it to work, naturally data is placed in the ram for this to hopefully occur but my not always, My DDRII chipset/ram is about 50-605 of what it should be, my old DDR was 80 %, go figure

^I've never heard of the issue with it being optimized for contiguous reads, but it wouldn't surprise me. Are you using Vista or 7? Superfetch works really well on these systems. It's a good reason to increase the RAM on them.

Last edited:
I'm using vista but this is all down to the chipset I beleive nothing to do with the OS its.... ahem... electronics ? I don't remember the full explanation but certainly do remember that DDr DDRII and certainly DDRIII is not all that its cracked up to be, multichannel is a far more effective way to increase speed as its a real increase not a hypothetical one, I think DDR4 will just be a con

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back