Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

just because I happen to have one around: TDA2040 as voltage reg !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

I'm out of money and need to regulate voltage from 14 V to about 11, I've got a TDA2040 (22 w power op amp 4 A output), I might as well fix this up as a non inverting amp and use it to provide me output ....

ok i know its not the most logical solution except that I have it and will never use it an an amp. anything again my using it ?

how do you mean the voltage drop ? if i set up an op am supplied by 12 V and give it a gain on 2 and an input of 5 V it will give an output of 10 V ! its only for 1.6 A just out of reach a 78xx

how do you mean the voltage drop ? if i set up an op am supplied by 12 V and give it a gain on 2 and an input of 5 V it will give an output of 10 V ! its only for 1.6 A just out of reach a 78xx

I think it is just a little more complicated than that. A normal voltage regulator is sensing the output voltgage, comparing it to a reference and making an internal adjustment to compensate for a change in load.
Perhaps the attached circuit will work. The resistors chosen to give 5V to the inverting input. I would make sure the amp is on a heatsink.

Attachments

• regulator.JPG
    regulator.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 257
I think it is just a little more complicated than that. A normal voltage regulator is sensing the output voltgage, comparing it to a reference and making an internal adjustment to compensate for a change in load.
Perhaps the attached circuit will work. The resistors chosen to give 5V to the inverting input. I would make sure the amp is on a heatsink.

that was my intention

I have a scope but what sort of instability will there be ? the load will be constant i forgot to say so should not be a problem

Audio amp ICs have internal frequency compensation so that they do not oscillate. The TDA2040 is designed for a gain of 33. If you make the gain lower by adding more negative feedback then it will be unstable and will oscillate at a fairly high frequency.
as an audio amplifier it has a DC gain of 1 so use it as a voltage follower if your reference voltage has no AC ripple.

Look at the datasheet for the LM386 little power amplifier. It has a gain of 20 and the datasheet says that it becomes unstable if you reduce its gain below 9.

well I csn put a potential divider on the input to ajust the 78L05 output voltage to one suitable, not sure if I have the neccesary stable voltage at 10-11 volts, oh what the hec maybe I can use the BD237 transistor as a constant current generator using the 78l05 to supply the base resistor with a constant current

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back