Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Just a curiosity or FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydeCrashKop

Most Helpful Member
Is Natures Own bread like Twinkies with a 20 year half life?

The crew I work with bought this loaf of bread in December 2019. They used a few slices, then left it on the kitchen counter while they were in the Bahamas for 6 months. The Best if used by date is Jan. 13 2020. Now, in late June, there is no mold and the bread is still soft! The label says “NEVER any artificial preservatives” Thinking it might be synthetic or not edible, I put a slice outside. The bugs gobbled it right up and were asking for more!

So jump to your own conclusions. If it is still good, Natures Own Butterbread may be good for hurricane supplies or to stock in your fallout shelter.

Natures own butter bread.jpg
Natures own Pledge.jpg
Natures own best by.jpg
Natures own ingredients.jpg

You could also look at possible positive aspects...
- the bread was made in very sanitary conditions
- your coworkers washed their hands very well before opening the package.
- your office is free from mold spores

ha. Ha, ha, ha...
Or, it is more likely another example of, "better living through chemistry".

Actually, it's strange. Perhaps they might have used preservation. I haven't seen such a loaf of bread before. Even it's 3 days, bread gets hard and dry. Only frozen bread can remain for six months without drying and mold

Even it's 3 days, bread gets hard and dry.
?? I routinely use a loaf for a couple of weeks or more! I always put bread in airtight bags as soon as I get it, and keep it in the fridge.
It keeps fine like that until it's finished.

But a loaf not drying out or going mouldy over months without refrigeration, especially after being opened, is rather amazing!!
Or was it in some place without heating, and cool weather most of the time?

Do they still do irradiated food?, I remember it was supposed to be the 'next big thing' years ago.
Still? Is there a better way to preserve fresh fruit? Remember when strawberries when bad in a day or two but now last for weeks? What do you think happened to those berries?

Interestingly, the Red Cross was irradiating blood and plasma for 20-years before the USDA approved gamma radiation for food. I wouldn't want blood preserved any other way.

was it in some place without heating, and cool weather most of the time?

Just on a kitchen counter in Florida. Mild winter, warm spring, A/C and heat at 74 degrees.

There's some guy with a burger, complete with bun, that was bought from a well known "burger supplier" that still looks good after many years. No mold, fungi etc. But a loaf of bread beats me.

Mike.

I am no expert to determine where irradiated food is safe or not.

All I know is that when the general public hears the word "radiation", immediately images of Chernobyl or Hiroshima are conjured.

I recall a funny sketch, perhaps from SNL, on which a mother was shown preparing sandwiches with Chernobyl-brand bread. The tagline was: "It will make your children sparkle with energy!"

Funny or not, I remember a tremendous pushbackback then.

Still? Is there a better way to preserve fresh fruit?
I believe a lot of the "sealed pack" stuff is filled with an inert gas that slows or stops most microorganisms; many need either oxygen or CO2 for their metabolisms.

I believe a lot of the "sealed pack" stuff is filled with an inert gas that slows or stops most microorganisms; many need either oxygen or CO2 for their metabolisms.

It is used in combination with other preservation techniques. Carbon monoxide is also used to keep packaged meat looking blood red instead of acquiring a gray hue in the grocery store display case (the CO doesn't release from the hemoglobin so it stays red longer but doesn't prevent the meat from rotting a minute longer).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back