Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

JTAG programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

murph98

Hi All

I am trying to read a TMS320F2810PBK chip

I have purchased a JTAG programmer Flashpro2000 but cannot seem to get it to read the chip. The supplying company are not very helpful as the chip is on a board which does not have a JTAG Header.
TMS320F2810PBK is JTAG compatible

TMS.jpg

DSP on board.png

jtag.jpg

Have made all the connections correctly but reader shows this error
Prog.jpg

Anyone familiar with Jtag ?

Usually the chips on commercial products are read-protected. This means that you can not read the chip (flash memory). You might be able to erase the memory and then re-program it, but I don't believe that is what you want to do.

Last edited:
Hi

As far as I am aware I should be able to read.

To test programmer I can buy a blank chip.

Do know will It be a simple case of powering the chip with a 3.3v supply on vddaio ?

Thanks for the reply

As far as I am aware I should be able to read.

Why do you think that? As far as I know, if that is commercial consumer/industrial product, you have no chance reading the flash memory.

I spoke to the manufacturer of the programmer.
He says the error message is not to do with chip protection.
He says that the Size of the jtag taps must be able to read at any time.
I thought maybe there was some problem with the programmer. If I buy a new dsp chip and ire fly power it up off board then that would rule out programmer problem and also verify that I am connecting the correct pins to the dsp

Last edited:
I am a bit of a novice however and hoped someone would have experience on cable connections to power the chip directly and connect to jtag pins

He says the error message is not to do with chip protection.

True. I did not bother to check what the error means. It does not matter. I am 99% confident that the chips memory is protected.

Have you tried the JTAG with some other chips succesfully? Or is this your first try with the Flashpro2000 (I like the name.. so 80's futuristic)?

First try with the flash pro. The board is from a ups. There are custom settings we use on the ups. Each ups we have o log on using serial port and hyperterminal and individually set each setting which takes a lot of time. I would like to simply change the settings copy the chip then program next system. There is a header on the board while not a normal 14 pin jtag header rather an edge connector. This connector I have traced the connector pins back and they trace to jtag pins on the dsp chip.
So I assume the header is there specifically for that purpose. While you assume that it may be locked and you may be right I have not yet got to the point of proving that.
If I an get the programmer correctly connected, even to a blank chip then I will see at least if the chip on the board is locked.

Last edited:
First try with the flash pro. The board is from a ups. There are custom settings we use on the ups. Each ups we have o log on using serial port and hyperterminal and individually set each setting which takes a lot of time. I would like to simply change the settings copy the chip then program next system.

Even if you could read/write the flash, it would be really difficult to change the code so that it boots up with your custom settings. If you find where the right data is allocated, then you could write your own values to that location.. Are you sure that the UPS does not have a function to save the settings?

EDIT: If you boot up the device and then give it the right settings, it would still be useless to read the Flash. The settings data is most propably written to RAM, not flash. The data could be written to EEPROM, but since the settings do not "stick" they are not written to eeprom.

Last edited:
.. maybe you should write a program that logs on automatically (through serial port) and sets the right settings. Why are you using hyperterminal for that?

Do you actually know how to connect to the dsp using jtag pins and power the chip ?

I think he knows where to connect all the signals etc., but when you connect JTAG to pins that are already connected to some other functions then there will be problems. But, usually JTAG, and other programming/debugging interface pins are not used in the way that it would disable the jtag/debuggin functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back