Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Joystick Switches Where Are They?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gth629e

Hello all,

I am in the midst of designing a low cost control pendant for CNC router machines. The problem I am having is locating finger style switching joysticks. I do not need a variable potentiometer type control. Only a 4 way or preferably an 8 way joystick type contact switch.

You can find several of the small units on mouser digikey etc, however, it is only the switch. I would like a complete joystick with the boot, plunger, switch, etc.

I do not want to have to design and build my own protective boot, plunger, mounting assembly etc.

If you have any idea as to where I could find such parts please let me know. The current voltage rating is a standard 5v 500ma.

I would love to hear any ideas or advice you guys could offer. Thanks in advance!

Brian
CNCRouterSource.com

Ambient,

Thank you for your reply. I have seen that joystick and it is the type I need, only I need it about half that size.

This controller should be able to fit in your hand (thats the hope anyway). I know they exist because I have seen them on other controllers.

I looked for the wheelchair sticks with no avail. But lets talk about this other thing.

First of all, I am a mechanical engineer by trade. I can make my way around electronics, but is is by no means my strongest asset lol.

The joystick off of a ps2 controller is the perfect size but I am unsure how use it.

https://www.p3america.com/pp/802.htm

I will be using a "keyboard encoder" board to interface with the pc. The reason for doing this is because the CNC software does not allow control with anything other than the keyboard.

The encoder makes it seam as if the signals are coming from the keyboard. There are key grabbers and ways to assign joystick motion to keyboard outputs via third party software, but I want this to be pretty much plug and play.

How hard would it be to interface the pots to a PIC?

Thanks for you comment anyway though.

How hard would it be to convert a potentiometer type joystick like the ones in the links above, to an 8 way switch?

what would you need to say have a circuit open or close depending on the pot location?

Thanks,

Here is what I would like to use,

https://www.p3america.com/pp/802.htm

However, how would you wire the comparators and relays to obtain say an 8 way switch?

The encoder only detects simple I/O switches. It just seems that someone has to produce a small simple 4 or 8 way switch with a joystick, boot etc.

This is from the old F. Mims series sold by Radio Shack. It simply puts into a schematic the type of circuit blueroomelectronics (Bill) just suggested. As drawn, you could have four set points for each axis, but it is easy to see how that could be increased or decreased to just one or two per direction by adjust the resistors/setpoints. Then, instead of LEDs, use relays or an electronic switch for each setpoint.

Sorry for the quality of the schematic. I copied it from the source shown. John

Attachments

• bargraph.gif
    bargraph.gif
    20.8 KB · Views: 188
Well one comparator per relay some low power relays could probably be run directly from the comparator output. Many users could provide you with better schematic. An LM339 is a quad comparator IC. How much current do you want to switch?
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

There will only be maybe 100 mA at 5 vdc so where not talking abuot a lot. I will most likely be designing a PCB so this is something that I could integrate.

On a side note, do you guys recomend a company for producing small simple single or double sided pcb's at low quantity? Maybe only 100-200 to begin with?

Last edited:
Yeah, there are a lot of those that size available. Its perfect, I just need something a lot smaller. Like a joystick of length 1" or so and not 6" like the arcade joysticks.

Thanks though, I might be able to use them and just design a new joystick handle etc.

Keep them coming!

Have a look here at **broken link removed** I think they make exactly what you want.
Jeff

*1st edit* corrects the above url

*2nd edit* adds another for arcade-type joysticks

Last edited:
As Blue mentioned before, just use comparators if you want to use a joystick. the joystick will control 2 pots, one per axis. When the joystick is centered, the pots are centered. Look up on how pots operate. All you would need to do is put 2 comparators on each pot output. the comparators would have tripping points at >40% and <60%, for example (pot is 50% when centered). This will require more work than finding a mechanical version, and might end up with a larger project than what you want.

I am really sorry to hijack your thread but I have tried to start a thread twice now and it just isn't showing up. Can someone help me out?

Okay,

I think I have found the joystick I need now heres another frustrating show stopper.

The pendant will have about 30 + controls which will be connect to a board 6' away. So I chose a 40 conductor ribbon type cable that is sleeved in a round PVC jacket. I chose the flat ribbon type because I would be able to use a crimp termination block.

The pendant and the controller board, which is 6' away both have a 40 PIN standard Male header. Two rows of 20. The pin spacing layout is the standard .01" or 2.54mm spacing. Just like a 40 PIN IDE cable in a pc.

The only problem is I cannot find the female header/termination block for the 40 pin ribbon cable. I chose this so there would not be any need to solder all the wires.

I can not find these things anywhere. Well, I did find one place that sold them. However, it was a pc shop so like on standard IDE cables the 19th pin has been blocked. Which is still fin, as it happens that pin is redundant, but they want to sell these things for $8.00 a piece.

I know Mouser, Digikey, Newark, or someone MUST sale these things but I can not find them anywhere.

Here are the names Ive tried using

IDC headers
ata/33 headers and connectors
ide connectors etc.

Please let me know if you find them, Oh and here is the one site I found them at and they no longer sale them.

**broken link removed**

A standard PCB (male) connector can be used inline as a male-to-male adapter if the pins are long enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back